There are currently two Extra Help vacancies with the County's main 24-hour County Operators unit, which is part of the Information Services Department (ISD). The department is in the San Mateo Medical Center located at 222 West 39th Avenue in the city of San Mateo, CA.
Telephone Operators under general supervision, operate a centralized soft telephone with an online directory that connects a high volume of incoming calls to the appropriate individuals, County staff and departments. Extra Help Telephone Operators will be required to work all shifts including evening, weekend, overnight, and holiday shifts, provide off-hours support to co-workers, and perform other related duties as assigned.
Extra Help will be expected to work to fill shifts for vacations and sick calls which will include weekday evening shifts, and 8 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday including overnight shifts. These positions should expect to work overnight 11p-7am shifts.
Training for these positions will consist of one month of working Monday through Friday evening hours to learn after-hours procedures and then one month of working Monday through Friday day shift to learn business hours' procedures. The worker will then be prepared to fill all shifts.
Example of Duties
- Provide factual information to the public regarding County functions and activities
- Place authorized long-distance calls: maintain records of assisted and long-distance calls
- Take emergency telephone calls and locate appropriate staff
- Locate and notify appropriate individuals of fires, disasters, and similar emergencies
- Monitor County intrusion and fire alarms and notify the appropriate agencies
- Notify appropriate staff who are on-call and responsible for issues occurring after normal business hours involving the County Coroner, Sheriff's Office, Probation Department, and other County departments
- Maintain logs of specific types of calls
- Operate standard office equipment and perform minimal typing and clerical duties
- 1 year office support work experience involving considerable contact with the public primarily by extensive use of telephones;
- Experience with a soft phone call routing application and basic computer skills desired;
- Ability to multi-task and have flexibility in a busy work environment;
- Ability to maintain focus and calmness with emergency calls;
- Ability to work well as a team with co-workers;
- Availability to work evening, weekend, holiday, overnight, and other shifts;
- Ability to sit for long periods of time; and
- Possession of excellent hearing and manipulative skills to operate a soft phone application.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is preferred.
Note: Extra-help assignments are at-will and the employee is paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra-help workers are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the extra-help assignment.