Technical Research Assistant PPM Biobank
GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:Summarize the nature and level of work performed.
The mission of Partners HealthCare Personalized Medicine is to utilize genetics and genomics to improve the care of patients through the promotion and implementation of personalized medicine in caring for patients throughout the Partners HealthCare System and in healthcare nationally and globally.
The successful candidate will perform as part of a laboratory team supporting human subject studies at the Central Partners Biobank.The candidate should becomfortable handling samples of human origin in a laboratory setting,demonstrate a high attention to detail, and an ability to learn in a fast past setting.Duties include butare not limited to,routine performance of Plasma and Serum extractions from blood sample.The department is responsible for all receipt, processing, storage and shipping of research specimens for all users of the Partners Biobank. The technician will be expected to be knowledgeable and comply with all Partners patient privacy guidelines.
Successful candidate will promote the mission of the Partners Personalized Medicine to enable personalized medicine through the following tasks:
Working under the supervision of laboratory manager and senior technicians the successful applicant will perform a variety of routine procedures following established methodologies.Routine proceduresand duties will include but are not limited to:
- Accessions routine patient specimens:
- Accurately enters information from requisition into the computer following study specific work instructions.
- Affixes bar-coded labels to requisition and tubes.
With patient specimens performs:
Plasma extraction and storage
Serum extraction and storage
- Assists in collecting data for quality assurance and quality control programs
- Transfers samples from racks to centrifuges and decant station.
- Decants and sorts specimens.
- Sorts and prioritizes samples delivered in the lab.
- Maintains safety. Practices safe work habits and directs staff as needed.
- Compliance with all laboratory regulations, including Joint Commission, CAP and other regulatory agencies
- Complies with biohazard/radiation safety standards through proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents and/or radiation sources in the workplace.
- Uses universal safety precautionsand proper personal protective equipment to protect self and co-workers from bio-hazardous materials, including blood-borne pathogens.
- Completes annualbiohazard/universal precaution safety training, as appropriate.
All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor#39;s degree in life sciences, biochemistry, or chemistry Experience in molecular laboratory required
- Prior experience with DNA extraction or cell lines not required but will be considered favorably.
- Must be well-versed in laboratory standards and practices
- Must have US citizenship or appropriate visa/work status for the US
Ability to identify potential problems and troubleshoot solutions.
Motivated and able to master new techniques.
Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Good English oral and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Must have sound interpersonal skills
- High degree of computer literacy including, experience using Microsoft Office suite
- Demonstrate flexibility to adjust schedule in accordance with the needs of the department.
Biobank work will be conducted in the Partners Personalized Medicine facilities.
May be exposed to disease-bearing specimens, hazardous chemicals or fumes, or other hazards normally associated with a laboratory setting.Work environment may be noisy or crowded. Some repetitive movement, i.e. pipetting.Sitting for extended periods of time.
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Primary Location MA-Cambridge-BWH Cambridge MIT
BWH Cambridge MIT (BWHCambridgeMIT)