Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Responsibilities for this Position:
Department of Defense SECRET security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for an experienced Systems Engineer/Product Owner. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nationâ€™s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
The Product Owner is responsibile for communicating to the team the stakeholder/customer feature intent. The Product Owner works with the Architect and Product Manager to convert the functional requirements and program vision into features with a clearly established Definition of Done and Acceptance Criteria. A Product Owner facilitates with the team the decomposition of the feature into executable tasking called stories as a mechanism to make development and delivery of the feature estimable and predictable. The Product Owner is responsibile for providing the team any and all key information required to define customer product expectations.
The Product Owner is responsible for defining and prioritizing the team backlog, accepting iteration workload, and accepting the teamâ€™s user stories as complete. In addition, the Product Owner works with other Product Owners and external stakeholders to identify and manage dependencies and is responsible for reporting progress on behalf of the team. Product Owners are responsible for ensuring the teamâ€™s work is aligned with the overall program vision and for representing the vision for their product to the development team and other stakeholders. They ensure completed stories align with the feature intent and comply with the definition of done to maximize delivered value. Product Owners engage with project leadership team stakeholders such as Product Management, Program Management, Chief Engineer, System Architects, Platform Integration Lead, Test Integration Lead and Release Train Engineers (RTEs), Software Lead, and System Lead. The Product Owner (PO) engages with Customers, External Stakeholders and Business Owners as well as product development team stakeholders including Scrum Master, Technical Lead, CSCI /HWCI owners and developers. They are responsible for communicating end user/stakeholder feature intent by clearly defining team stories, priority, acceptance criteria and definition of done.
- Responsible for working with Product Manager and Architect to develop well-defined team features, feature priority, definition of done and acceptance criteria.
- Responsible with assistance from the team for decomposing features into team stories, priority, acceptance criteria and definition of done with great care taken to ensure feature emergent characteristics remain intact.
- Ensures that unplanned emergent work is properly prioritized against planned work.
- Responsible for verifying completed stories remain true to the original intent through acceptance criteria validation, definition of done compliance, and story test success in the lab/simulated lab environments.
- Responsible for verifying completed team features remain true to original intent through acceptance criteria validation, definition of done compliance, and integration testing success in the lab/simulated lab environments prior to DPME final approval/ feature release.
- A Product Owner verifies stories are complete and verifies that the integrated stories demonstrate the expected feature functionality.
- A Product Owner is responsible to communicate key product issues to the technical leadership team in a timely manner with a well-defined recovery plan or actionable request for help.
- Run iteration planning meetings (can be delegated)
- Run team backlog grooming meetings (can be delegated)
- Contribute to periodic program backlog grooming with System Architect and Product Manager
- Responsible for being the cost account manager - managing cost and schedule variances for each feature for the team and reporting on them
- Responsible for aligning features with the programs EVMS practices
- Represent their teams at the PO Sync
- Responsible for attending external meetings for team and relaying the appropriate information down to the teams
- Responsible for working with the team to prepare for program increment planning, working with the agile leadership to ensure that each feature that is flowed down has acceptance criteria and definition of done, and that the team has no questions about what is to be done while working that feature
- Responsible for working with the team to understand required enabling work and working with the agile leadership team to balance priority against a teamâ€™s commitment and capacity.
- Responsible for IDR and PMR presentations and material preparations
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
- Performs requirements analysis, requirements definition, requirements management, functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test (verification), validation and interface definition studies of subsystem or system elements under supervision of the lead systems engineer
- Performs technical planning, cost and risk analyses, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for subsystems and system elements
- Performs customer requirements analysis, develops system requirements and defines allocations to lower levels (elements and components)
- Performs detailed technical analyses for a subsystem or system elements
- Develops and evaluates systems, networks and information systems to ensure designs meet applicable governmental security specifications
- May provide system accreditation/certification evaluation and test support to ensure all technical security features (e.g., identification, authentication, access control, labeling, and auditing) of the system are considered and function properly
- May develop system security documentation on both new and fielded information systemsÃ‚
- Participates in Modeling and Simulation (fully proficient in Model Based Engineering)
- Researches and analyzes data, such as vendor products, COTS components, GFE/CFE, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application
- Supports the generation of technical engineering products by using the appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle
- May provide leadership and/or direction to lower level employees
- Independently determines proposed approach to solutions
- Contributes to the completion of major programs and projects
- Plans and executes project tasks for activities described above
- Creative, innovative responsibilities requiring advanced decision-making skills.
- Defines processes for technical platforms, system specifications, input/output and working parameters for hardware and/or software compatibility.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Designs a complete and complex framework, system or product.
- Identifies, analyzes and resolves system design weaknesses.
- Regular contact with senior levels of internal work groups
- Works under limited direction
- Contact with Deputy Program Managers Engineering (DPME) and other professionals within the Engineering department and with project teams across the company
- Frequent contact with external customers
- Travel may be required
- Security clearance may be required
- Provides resolution to a diverse range of complex problems
- Independently determines approach to solutions
- Keeps abreast of technology trends
- Contributes to the achievement of business objectives
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Fully proficient use and understanding of systems engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Fully proficient knowledge of other related disciplines
- Fully proficient with requirements management & system modeling tools
- Recognizes various architectural patterns
- Fully proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Fully proficient written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to sell concepts and ideas
- Creative thinker
- Ability to multi-task
- Fully proficient ability to grasp and apply new information quickly and effectively handle complex assignments
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction
- Fully proficient ability in communicating issues, impacts, and corrective actions
- Fully proficient ability to clearly report relevant to sound systems engineering design
- Fully proficient in EVMS
- Fully proficient in JIRA
- Fully proficient in SAFE Agile development
- Experienced with Matlab/Simulink
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran
ABOUT GENERAL DYNAMICS IN PITTSFIELD, MA
Come work for General Dynamics Mission Systems in beautiful Berkshire County, located on the western edge of Massachusetts. The Berkshires are very family friendly with excellent schools. The housing market is very affordable compared to surrounding larger cities. General Dynamics provides exceptional salaries in Berkshire County which provides a comfortable lifestyle for you and your family.
The surrounding area is a cultural center for arts and theater, including established venues such as Tanglewood, Mass Museum of Contemporary Arts, The Clark Art Institute and the Norman Rockwell Museum, to name a few. Berkshire County is also a recreation hub with mountains for hiking or mountain biking, multiple lakes, ski areas, golf courses and even the Appalachian Trail. Being part of New England, western Massachusetts also boasts four distinct and enjoyable seasons, from the comfortable summer months to the colorful fall and pristine winters.
As a small city with surrounding rural towns, Pittsfield has a reasonable cost of living and relaxing short commutes without giving up modern life amenities. We are centrally located in the northeast, providing easy access to all of the attractions New England can offer. Boston and New York City are both less than a 3 hour drive away.
The Berkshires are Calling!
To learn more about the General Dynamics Mission Systems Pittsfield facility, click HERE.