Requires a Bachelorâ€™s degree in Software Engineering, or a related Science, Engineering or Mathematics field. Agile experience preferred.
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.Responsibilities for this Position:
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Software Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nationâ€™s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
The team that has opened this position delivers cutting edge training systems to the submarine fleets of both the US Navy and Royal Australian Navy. Their work is fast-paced and exciting, and often involves integrating cutting-edge software to deliver training for new systems and capabilities that are new to the Submarine Fleet. Training Systems are deployed to Navy Bases including San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Bangor, Norfolk, Groton, Kings Bay and Perth, Western Australia.
What youâ€™ll be doing:
This Software Engineer will be provided software in a compiled/binary form and integrate that software into custom operating systems built on top of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). The engineer would be expected to understand how to satisfy software requirements by configuring dependent services, installing and configuring additional software/library dependencies, and troubleshoot that software when things aren't working as expected.
- Contributing to an established code base by adding features, performing maintenance and debugging
- Integrating, debugging, and troubleshooting compiled software into the Linux operating system
- Debugging software and application-level network issues
- Creating and utilizing documentation to verify proper software functionality and system operation
- Improving the system platform, along with contributing to the design of new features or enhancements
What you bring to the table:
- Strong debugging experience: examining logs, interpreting operating system errors, and finding creative ways to solve complex problems
- Experience installing and using Linux, for software development, academic purposes or as a hobbyist
- Motivated and hard-working individual that seeks out their next task
- Ability to research the requisite steps to accomplish a task; understanding that time spent solving a problem is time spent honing and improving an existing skillset
What sets you apart:
- Ability to write/maintain/debug shell scripts
- Hands-On experience with RHEL/CentOS/Fedora operating systems
- Experience deploying software and/or system services as containers
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, OpenShift, etc
- Experience with Ansible, Puppet, or other configuration management services
- Experience deploying and configuring Microsoft Windows 10 and Server 2016/2019
- Basic understanding of network protocols and how they relate to system services
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran