As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery â€“ every day we seek to ignite peopleâ€™s curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group is a technology company within Discovery. We are building a global streaming video platform (OTT) which covers search, recommendation, personalization, catalogue, video transcoding, global subscriptions and really much more. We build user experiences ranging from classic lean-back viewing to interactive learning applications. We build for connected TVs, web, mobile phones, tablets and consoles for a large footprint of Discovery owned networks (Discovery, Food Network, Golf TV, MotorTrend, Eurosport, Discovery Play, and many more). This is a growing, global engineering group crucial to Discoveryâ€™s future.Responsibilities:
We are hiring Senior Software Engineers to join the Personalization, Recommendation and Search team. As part of a rapidly growing team, you will own complex systems that will provide a personalized and unique experience for millions of users across over 200 countries for all the Discovery brands. You will be responsible for building scalable and efficient microservices. You will design high-throughput, low latency distributed systems that will handle the scale of millions of users.
You will lead by example and define the best practices, will set high standards for the entire team and for the rest of the organization. You have a successful track record for ambitious projects across cross-functional teams. You are passionate and results-oriented. You strive for technical excellence and are very hands-on. Your co-workers love working with you. You have built respect in your career through concrete accomplishments.Qualifications:
- 7+ years of experience designing, building, deploying, testing, maintaining, monitoring and owning scalable, resilient and distributed gRPC/REST microservices.
- Knowledge of resiliency patterns (retry, fallback, timeout, circuit breaker, rate limiter, bulkhead).
- Usage of platforms/tools like Envoy or Istio for integrating microservices and managing traffic flow across them.
- Obsession for instrumentation, monitoring and alerting of services (Datadog, Prometheus or similar), and distributed tracing (OpenTelemetry).
- Familiarity with incident response process (PagerDuty).
- Expertise with CI/CD pipelines and tools (CircleCI, Jenkins or similar) to automate building, testing and deployment of services and to manage the infrastructure (Pulumi, Terraform or CloudFormation).
- Strong knowledge of AWS or similar cloud platforms.
- Experience with container deployment, scaling, and management (Docker, Kubernetes or ECS).
- Proficiency with Go.
- Knowledge of load testing tools (e.g., artillery, ghz, k6).
- Understanding of relational databases (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL), NoSQL databases (e.g., key-value stores like Redis, DynamoDB, RocksDB), and Search Engines (e.g., Elasticsearch). Ability to decide, based on the use case, when to use one over the other.
- Familiarity with recommendation and search to personalize the experience for millions of users across million items.
- Masters in Computer Science or related discipline.