DoD SkillBridge Eligibility:
- Has served at least 180 days on active duty
- Is within 12 months of separation or retirement
- Will receive an honorable discharge
- Has taken any service TAPS/TGPS
- Has attended or participated in an ethics brief within the last 12 months
- Received Unit Commander (first O-4/Field Grade commander in chain of command) written authorization and approval to participate in DoD SkillBridge Program prior to start of internship.
Department of Defense SECRET security clearance is preferred at time of hire. Candidates must be able to obtain a SECRET clearance within a reasonable amount of time from date of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.Responsibilities for this Position:
If youâ€™re looking for a chance to experience civilian life and continue your mission to support our nation, then the General Dynamics Mission Systems Military Internship Program is the amazing challenge youâ€™re looking for! At General Dynamics Mission Systems, youâ€™ll learn from the best, those teams that create the technologies, products and services that help our nationâ€™s heroes keep our nation safe.
We are operating as an approved DoD SkillBridge Organization in accordance with Department of Defense Instruction 1322.29. GDMS is honored to assist our military and has specifically designed our internships to prepare participants for their transition to civilian life.
The GDMS Military Internship program is open to all ranks, enlisted or officer, may apply. Participants are not eligible for compensation from the company, as they continue to receive military compensation and benefits as active-duty service members. A GDMS Military Internship, whether entry or mid-level, is an opportunity for individuals to gain valuable civilian experience through specific industry training during their last 6 months of service, for up to 180 days. Participation in GDMSâ€™s Military Internship Program is voluntary, Service member-initiated, and must be authorized by the individualâ€™s chain of command prior to the start of the internship. Successful completion of all necessary company agreements and documentation will also be required.
This program is being afforded to both active duty Military Members of all supporting branches and Military Spouses. You will job-shadow and learn from experienced leaders and other smart, motivated people. This program will help you develop best in class skills on mission critical work.
Keeping people safe worldwide is what we do. Developing mission-critical systems is how we do it. At General Dynamics Mission Systems, youâ€™ll be part of the team that helps heroes make a true impact. The work we do is important. The challenges we face are career-defining. The opportunity we can offer is one-of-a-kind.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an opening for an Operations Test Technician (HJTX27)
Education: Associates Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Networking Technology or equivalent education.
Meets DoD SkillBridge Qualifications as per DODI 1322.29.
Duties and Tasks:
In a high volume production environment, work under general supervision to perform testing and troubleshooting of various products from individual items to entire suites of networked communications equipment. The Test Technician would routinely load software, configure and perform functional testing utilizing automated scripts, Acceptance Test Procedures (ATP's) or verbal instructions from Manager, Group Leader, Design Engineer or Test peers. Equipment under test includes GD designed or COTS computers, routers, servers, switches, raids, encryption devices, satellite communications, antennas, power supplies, cables etc.
Objectives - Intern program participants will receive training and job-shadowing opportunities to gain skills to meet the specific needs of the organization and will be prepared to meet the GDMS mission in â€œproviding smarter mission critical systems and products to defense, civil government, intelligence and cybersecurity customersâ€. This program provides a comprehensive internship experience including professional development, networking with leadership, and training specifically focused on GDMS leadership expectations, company history, customer / stakeholder engagement, product and service overview, and core job responsibilities.
Outcome â€“ Offer transitioning service members a rewarding opportunity to learn from the General Dynamics Mission Systems team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A suitable candidate would be knowledgeable in electronic networking technology and have experience working with communications equipment
- Skills would include the ability to read and interpret basic engineering drawings, schematics, block diagrams and wire run lists to set-up, perform testing and troubleshoot as required to isolate the failure down to the module, port or board level
- Familiar with manufacturing, test, development and or diagnostic equipment, including, but not limited to, test programs, meters, oscilloscopes, signal generators and specialized test apparatus
- Devise and construct basic tooling and fixtures to test, debug, troubleshoot, calibrate utilizing a variety of test equipment
- Candidate must be computer literate, have good verbal and written communication skills to convey detailed pass/fail results accurately, generate all associated documentation and sign off test steps in the manufacturing database
- Collaborate with GD Engineers, Operations peers and Supplier Engineers to address and resolve test anomalies
- Develop test specifications and procedures, analyzes results and implements procedures to resolve problems
- Prepare reports, documentation/specifications as required
- Ability to work both as an individual contributor and as part of a cohesive team
- Identify, document, and implement solutions for process improvements
- Handles unexpected demands and adapts to new situations
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran