The Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory is a world-class fusion energy research laboratory managed by Princeton University for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. PPPL is dedicated to developing the scientific and technological knowledge base for fusion energy. The Laboratory advances the fields of fusion energy and plasma physics research to develop the scientific understanding and key innovations needed to realize fusion as an energy source for the world.
The 2nd shift (2 PM - 10 PM) Lead Plant Operator is a member of the Central Plant team charged with the operation, maintenance, and repair of the central plant that provides heating and cooling to all buildings at C & D Sites throughout the PPPL campus. This position supports the Central Plant Team in around-the-clock operations of the steam and chilled water central plant. Activities include repair, maintenance, and installation of mechanical equipment, and in maintenance of buildings, grounds, and utility systems by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
- 65%- Operations: Operates the central boilers in accordance with the safety rules and regulations set forth by the State of New Jersey, Bureau of Boiler and Pressure Vessel compliance and all equipment within the central boiler plant. Follows all safety and environmental policies and procedures. Supports continuous operations of the steam and chilled water generation and distribution system for PPPL’s campus and experimental needs while complying with all local and state regulations.
- 20%- Maintenance: Supports maintenance activities on plant systems to provide continuous supply of steam and chilled water required for operations. Follows preventive maintenance program in conjunction with Facilities engineering and maintenance staff. Maintains proper water conditions by testing, treatment, and blow-down of boilers.
- 5%- Monitoring and coordination: Monitor auxiliary plant systems, such as building automation system alarms, elevated water tower, and fuel oil supply tank, etc.Communicate and coordinate with supervisor. Maintains inventory and records of chemical usage.
- 5%- Inspection: Inspects operating machines and equipment for conformance with operational standards. Confers with supervisor to resolve maintenance problems and recommend measures to improve operations and conditions of machines and equipment.
- 5%- Attend Training classes to meet PPPL requirements, improve technical knowledge and organizational skills.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in steam plant operation and maintenance.
- High school education or GED equivalent required.
- Vocational or Tech school training in the area of Industrial Plumbing repair and maintenance preferred.
- Experience interpreting and developing processes to comply with ES&H Directives, DOE Orders and OSHA standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of, supports, and consistently applies the Laboratory’s Integrated Safety Management (ISM) program and all ES&H requirements.
- Encourages others to be safety conscious and observe safety rules including use of safety equipment. Devotion toward safe work practices and unwavering drive to integrate those methods into all work planned on site.
- Understanding of underground utilities and their variations.
- Experience with Siemens Building Automation Software (Insight & Desigo CC).
Certificates and Licenses:
- Holds a New Jersey Operating Engineers License: Minimum of Blue Seal (3rd Class license).
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Must be able to stand for periods of time (min 2 hr).
- Must be able to climb fixed and portable ladders.
- Must be able to work 2nd SHIFT (2 PM - 10 PM); this shift could evolve over time but for now it's 2nd SHIFT.
- Ability to be on call, work over-time, off-shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. All PPPL employees are required to disclose any participation in a foreign government talent recruitment program and may be required to withdraw from such programs to remain employed under the DOE Contract.