Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience. Agile experience preferred.
Department of Defense TS/SCI security clearance is required within a reasonable period of time. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Position can be located in Fairfax, Va. or Pittsburgh, Pa.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Senior Software Systems Engineer. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
We make software that supports our men and women in the military, enabling capabilities such as real-time collaboration, and offering insight to researchers and data analysts. Our software supports a variety of problem domains and systems, such as space and ground command and control (C2), cyber defense, threat management, cloud computing services, and data analytics. We’re a passionate, close-knit group of inter-disciplinary thinkers and doers that craft truly one-of-a-kind software used all over the world, and we do it from our cozy-casual office here in Pittsburgh.
In this role, you will:
- Guide all phases of software system development by providing technical strategy, operational concept development, system architecture definition, requirements analysis, use cases, trade studies, and leadership throughout the product lifecycle.
- Participate in new business pursuits by supporting briefings and demonstrations of our capabilities and supporting the proposal development process by preparing solutions and story maps, authoring technical content, providing cost estimates, participating in reviews, and helping to deliver the final proposal.
- Be a clear and enthusiastic communicator to customers, users, subcontractors, and cross functional project teams to define, analyze, and meet project goals. You will coordinate across design, development, test, project leadership, program management, and customer representatives, creating a collaborative environment that focuses on the big picture. You will be a technical spokesperson for our company, conveying insight and confidence.
- Work towards a high-level vision while also understanding the importance of details. You will proactively identify and mitigate risks and define reasonable trade spaces from which the team can operate. Managing multiple concurrent projects and RFIs will require you to prioritize strategically.
- Proactively define your own tasks and execute with little oversight. You will accomplish program goals despite obstacles, ambiguity, and changing requirements in a fast-paced environment.
- Apply systems thinking to software, processes, people, and organizations. You will help harden software and processes into mature, mission-critical, “must-work” products.
- Participate in internal reviews of software and provide input on software design decisions based on your prior experience and familiarity with the problem domain, similar algorithmic work, or related technologies.
- Mentor and guide less experienced engineers, because you are motivated to improve our work environment and help others.
- Support and develop our technical culture by being engaged, intellectually curious, friendly, motivated to solve complex problems, and inspired to deliver superior user-centered designs.
Our Systems Engineers typically work in the following areas:
- Perform customer requirements analysis, develop system requirements and define allocations to lower levels (elements and components)
- Perform functional analysis, performance analysis, system design, detail trade studies, systems integration and test, interface definition studies of subsystem or system elements
- Support the generation of technical engineering products by using appropriate standards, processes, procedures, and tools throughout the system development life cycle
- Research and analyze data, such as vendor products, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design
- Perform technical planning, cost and risk analyses
- Use Model-Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) to document and support system requirements, design, and analysis.
Check out who we are and what we do here in Pittsburgh
- Systems engineering aspects of software applications and/or cloud infrastructure
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran