At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as Senior Systems Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will assist in organizing cross-departmental requirements analysis, verification, build, and test activities in addition to being an individual contributor for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.Your Mission:
- Create, manage and verify system and sub-system level requirements on our current launch system and future concepts
- Lead analysis, verification, build, and test related to LauncherOne systems, such as the rocket, pylon, 747 carrier aircraft and ground support equipment
- Support process improvement efforts to streamline requirements verification and validation
- Participate in fault and hazard analysis in collaboration with VO’s Safety and Mission Assurance department
- Support system team product deliverables & reviews to meet commitments of critical program schedules
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field or equivalent work experience in a similar role
- 5+ year’s industry experience in STEM field
- Demonstrated performance working with complex systems, such as aerospace, aviation, or automotive systems
- Ability to understand high level system requirements and how they flow down to individual component or sub-system requirements
- Demonstrated success in technically focused projects involving hardware design, build or test
- Experience with project management
- Clear communication and presentation skills
- Ability to support the program by reacting quickly to strategic changes in direction or scope
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 10lbs (unassisted)
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Computer programming skills such as MATLAB or Python; and/or demonstrated ability to automate complex processes
- Requirements management experience with tools such as DOORS, Jama, or Innoslate
- Knowledge of configuration management best practices
- Experience leading design and test readiness reviews
- Experience in integrating complex systems and performing testing
- Experience writing test plans, procedures and providing go/no-go judgment
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Stay in touch with the latest news and updates from Virgin Orbit by following us on:
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.