Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace worldwide. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts worldwide. Together we tackle the most challenging problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Senior System Administrator manages system resources for USIP’s enterprise network operating systems and Microsoft business productivity servers, including the Office 365 Tenant. The Senior System Administrator is also responsible for managing installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and applications software; managing the installation and integration of system fixes, updates, patches, and enhancements; and promptly resolving hardware/software interface and interoperability problems. The incumbent plans and develops a broad range of IT activities, including in-depth analysis of technical and non-technical factors related to defining business IT needs. This position also provides Tier 3 support to the IS Help Desk.
This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Senior Manager, IT Systems & Solutions.
TARGET SALARY RANGE:
Grade 13 - $106,000 – 117,000
The Institute uses the General Schedule salary tables for administering compensation. Offers are determined based upon candidate qualifications, related experience, internal equity, and the amount budgeted for the position.
- Manages day-to-day operations of system resources for USIP’s enterprise network.
- Provides backstopping support to the Senior Manager, IT Systems & Solutions for daily business operations.
- Identifies risks, anticipates issues and takes ownership of issue resolution.
- Designs and develops solutions to complex applications problems and system administration issues.
- Collaborates with consultants and industry partners to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Manages the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and applications software.
- Ensures the prompt resolution of hardware/software interface and interoperability problems.
- Manages the installation and integration of system fixes, updates, patches, and enhancements.
- Distributes and installs network software releases and updates and assists end-users with software installation and customization.
- Makes recommendations to improve and support business activities.
- Manages all aspects of a multi-site Active Directory forest and Office 365 Cloud Solutions.
- Manages production VMWare cluster and VMWare NSX environment.
- Administers and monitors a hybrid environment of Windows and Linux servers, ESXi, and Hyper-V hypervisors. Manages all other production servers and services.
- Maintains server security and integrity. Ensures vulnerability scans are run on an established schedule. Implements software patches and security fixes.
- Designs, builds, tests, and implements server solutions in both physical and virtual environments.
- Administers and troubleshoots storage systems such as Dell EqualLogic and Synology NAS.
- Administers and monitors HCI virtual environment.
- Administers and monitors third party tools such as Interact Intranet, NinjaRMM, Hexnode MDM, SSO, Webroot, etc.
- Monitors core services via automated tools. Maintains global situational awareness of events impacting USIP networks.
- Performs regular server and Office 365 backups, file archiving, and file restores.
- Receives and inventories network software, test and validate new software applications and network operating systems.
- Manages licensing and subscriptions for all software. Reviews site license agreements and removes software from systems when no longer required or authorized. Disposes or redistributes excess software.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of growing IT department operations.
- Supports the Senior Manager, IT Systems & Solutions with installation or upgrade projects.
- Provides Tier 3 support to the IS help desk with oversight related to the operations of computer networks and desktop hardware and software, including troubleshooting and design implementation as appropriate. Serves as Help Desk backup during periods of high volume.
- Implements system for image deployment to assist the Helpdesk with device preparation.
- Researches and evaluates new technology and infrastructure solutions, making recommendations for improvements as appropriate.
- Develops and maintains system documentation of environment and application configuration.
- Manages Webroot AV solution and disinfects infected computers.
- Creates and maintains PowerShell scripts.
- Complies with and assists in implementing relevant policies, principles, and procedures.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related discipline (or equivalent combination of education, experience, and technical certifications) required.
- 7+ years of related experience required.
- Preferred Certifications: MCSE, CCNP, CISSP, CEH, ITL, VMWare.
- Experience with Microsoft Active Directory, Office 365 Cloud Solutions and Desktop Applications, Office 365 Administration, Windows 10, and Surface and Dell Laptops.
- Experience with Apple products such as iPhones, iPads, and Mac OS.
- Experience in system administration, network administration, and/or help desk operations.
- Advanced knowledge of information systems concepts and terminology.
- Understanding of networking protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, SSL, TLS.
- Experience with network troubleshooting tools and techniques.
- Experience with Linux operating systems.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Flexibility, ability to change priorities quickly, and capacity to handle multiple task. Ability to effective prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Outstanding customer service orientation.
- Experience in translating operational requirements into system requirements.
- Experience working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Ability to convey technical information to non-technical individuals.
- Self-motivated with a high degree of self-discipline.
- Ability to lift, carry, and setup equipment that weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to walk or stand for extended periods of time.
- Availability to periodically work flexible hours, including early morning, evening, and weekends.
`All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
As with many organizations, USIP follows specific guidelines related to COVID vaccinations. These guidelines align with the latest findings from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The overall intent is to ensure the safest possible workplace for USIP employees and contractors. In accordance with the guidelines, all USIP employees and contractors with building access are required to be fully vaccinated regardless of telework or remote status.
Upon acceptance of the position, you are required to submit proof of vaccination along with your signed offer letter to HR. If you require an exemption, either medical or religious, we will provide you with the exemption form for you to complete prior to your start date.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
1. Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary requirements.
2. Cover letter
For questions about this position please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.See job description