NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go tomed.nyu.edu, and interact with us onLinkedIn,Glassdoor,Indeed,Facebook,TwitterandInstagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Senior Research Technician.In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for the execution of experiments using a variety of in vitro approaches including, but not limited to, cell culture, qRT-PCR, Western blotting, flow cytometry, molecular biology, advanced microscopy, and automated patch clamping. Dr. William Coetzee and team members will provide training with specific techniques as needed. He/she will also assist with data analysis and data interpretation. He/she will also assist with maintaining equipment, making and testing solutions and general lab upkeep.
- Participates and performs other related duties as required.
- Lab Duties - Basic lab duties under general supervision as well as more advanced duties under direct supervision. Assists with the ordering and tracking of laboratory supplies. Performs routine technical tasks, and assists in the general maintenance of the lab, such as prepare stock reagents and maintain inventory of the labs supplies. General techniques in biochemistry, molecular biology and cell culture. Participates in standard lab experiments. Coordinates the repair and preventative maintenance of lab equipment. Assist in experiments using established protocols and procedures, and records results of experiments. Performs all general and advanced procedures within the lab with minimal supervision. Assist in the planning of experiments as well as in the interpretation of results. Ability to instruct and provide guidance to junior level lab staff in analysis and interpretation of the results of experiments. May be required to take responsibility for all procedures in the absence of the Principal Investigator or Scientist.
- Assist in Developing Procedures - Assists in implementing new procedures and protocols to support experiments. Participates actively in developing, recommending and implementing new approved procedures, or modifications to existing protocols and procedures. Maintains and updates technical knowledge.
- Communication/Relationship with Others - Cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of Medical Center. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtain needed information. effective manner. Maintains the confidentiality of all research information.
- Judgment/Decision-Making - Is able to recognize problems as they occur; and through the application of appropriate policy/ procedure, determine and/or recommends the appropriate solution. Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties asks appropriate questions when in doubt and utilizes reference sources/materials to endure accuracy. Advises appropriate personnel of situations/problems requiring intervention or follow-up attention.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Life Sciences or a related field with three years of experience. Specialization in three or more laboratory procedures is required. A solid foundation in basic lab protocols as well as significant experience in areas such as procedures is essential and required. Possess the knowledge and experience in specific areas such as Biochemistry, Histology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, etc.
In lieu of education, at least 10 years of related experience in a lab setting. A solid foundation in basic lab protocols as well as significant experience in areas such as procedures is essential and required. Possess the knowledge and experience in specific areas such as Biochemistry, Histology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, etc.
o Some experience in independently conducting and interpreting experiments.
Highly motivated, responsible and very well organized with excellent attention to detail.
o Although no prior electrophysiology experience is required, preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in ion channel biology.
o Effective oral and written communication skills in English
o Willingness to learn new techniques
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Grossman School of Medicine's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.