News can change the world, save lives, and bring us all closer together through empathy and understanding - but not if it isn’t read. Out of the hundreds of millions of articles and posts, how do we deliver the information that matters the most? How do we avoid the filter bubble of personalization and widen people’s interests and knowledge?
SmartNews is creating an entirely new model for the news industry. Our mission is to evaluate (in real-time) what makes a quality story and deliver the stories that matter to people who need it. We are dedicated to the idea that people make better decisions when provided with better information.
We’re not there yet, but we have a great head start. We’re one of the very few pre-IPO, (double) unicorns focused on the news with thousands of publisher partners globally. Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has become the go-to source of news for users around the world. We have more than 20M+ monthly active users worldwide, billions of channel interactions, and article pageviews generated per month.
Join us and be a part of the solution as we work to escape the filter bubble, strengthen democracy, and help people be better informed.
SmartNews is focused on becoming the leading destination to connect users to the content they need, love or would be angry not knowing about. Our mission is to deliver the world's quality information to the people who need it.
SmartNews Content Product team’s goal is to provide the best user experiences to consume, enjoy and discover content across key verticals, topics and subjects that matter most to users. We’re looking for talented Product Managers to expand the boundaries of Smartnews by continuously inspiring users to go deeper and connect with their world and interests and meet unmet needs for users who currently are burdened by info overload, doomscrolling, publisher bias, and filter bubble, among many challenges in the space You’ll be working with global functional teams to build innovative user-facing products.
- Identify product opportunities, define product problems and drive product solutions to motivate meet users’ unmet needs and challenges in content aggregation
- Drive clear product definitions, OKRs, and the product roadmap across an emerging set of proprietary platform tools and news services
- Incorporate data, research, and market analysis to inform product strategies and roadmaps in the context of broader organizational goals, going deep on content “diet” problems and gaps for users
- Define clear and precise data metrics to best represent the business performance and adjust product strategies dynamically
- Drive persistent cycles of hypothesis generation, testing through A/B tests or quasi-experiments, and results interpretation with cross-functional teams across marketing, engineering, data science and content teams
- Own, define and champion metrics to measure product quality, audience impact and organizational goals
- Drive solutions and tradeoffs that leverage curational content experiences focused on engagement or scaled ML-driven solutions, or hybridized product solutions
- BA/BS in related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years of product management experience with world-class consumer experiences
- Experience with A/B testing approaches, quasi experimentation and/or advanced knowledge of statistics and probability
- Direct experience with creating tooling required to collect, structure, manage and/or classify data or interfacing with such services
- Track record with product management or development of content-related experiences, working with human experts or scaled labeling solutions
- Exposure to broader, complex service-oriented systems that power elegant consumer experience
Nice to Haves
- Experience working in mid-to-”long tail” content ecosystems or environments, across text, video, audio or UGC
- Experience in a 2-sided marketplace or traditional supply and demand environment
- Passion about creating or capturing data sets that directly translate to user delight
- Direct experience working with content operations, taxonomists or ontologists or service integrity teams.
- Equity included
- 401(k) matching program
- 100% medical, dental and vision insurance coverage (100% coverage for self and family)
- Monthly allowances provided (via Benepass)
- Pet friendly office