Do you have the skills—and drive—to join a tech team that’s working to digitally transform a trillion-dollar industry? From test-driving the latest technologies to creating intuitive consumer apps, Liberty Mutual is constantly innovating and creating industry-leading solutions that provide peace of mind for our customers worldwide. As a senior software engineer at Liberty Mutual, you’ll apply your talents in an agile environment that has the creative energy of a start-up—and the full backing and comprehensive benefits of a Fortune 100 company.
This is a range posting (Senior/Principal Software Engineer). Offered title/grade will be determined by the selected candidate's skills and experiences.
About the Opportunity:
We are seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join a team of Voice Network Engineers and Developers that support Network and Communications within our Global Digital Services organization. Join us as we continue our transformation to DevOps, develop and integrate comprehensive reporting and monitoring tools, build self-service capabilities and infrastructure as code. In this role you will use your coding skills to develop applications that will automate manual processes, programmatically interact with voice and network infrastructure and build valuable monitoring, modeling and alerting applications. This involves analyzing current processes and making recommendations for automation. You will have an opportunity to work on squads of up to 9 people in an Agile environment.
Under limited supervision, the Sr. Software Engineer is fully engaged and actively participates within a team as technical expert in analysis, design, coding, testing, and debugging new software or significant enhancements to existing software to achieve desired results and documents appropriate aspects of those deliverables. Develops and enhances complex systems and/or software from general requirements and specifications. Analyzes complex technical system problems. Leads projects or subprojects and coordinates rollouts of moderate scope. Seeks out opportunities to mentor new developers. General expectations of this position are:
- Develop and integrate performance monitoring techniques and tools
- Develop and optimize analytics infrastructure for realistic application scenarios
- Develop integrations with various cloud platforms and on-premises data systems
- Contribute to related open-source projects
- Demonstrate strong drive to learn and advocate for development best practices (TDD, code reviews, continuous integration, work in small batches, etc.)
- Build and maintain secure web applications to ensure efficient and effective customer delivery
- Design and contribute to the internal development platforms, tools, and processes for the business growth
- Develop, design and implement highly scalable system and software architecture
- Collaborate with team members to develop cloud-based software/digital platform for our clients
- Communicate effectively with team members, management, and clients
- A Bachelors or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience.
- Generally 5+ years of professional experience. Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills.
- Experience with GIT, GitHub/Lab, Jira
- Strong AWS experience
- Experience in developing performance monitoring tools and techniques
- Creating and delivering data-driven applications and reports
- Experience in high performance parallel I/O (e.g. cloud storage)
- Proficient in negotiation, facilitation and consensus building skills.
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated understanding of the following: IT concepts, strategies and methodologies. Business functions and business operations
- Professional software engineering practices and best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Design and development tools - Architectures, technical and security standards.
- Understanding of agile software development concepts and processes. Must be proactive and demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker.
- Consultative skills, including the ability to understand and apply customer requirements, including drawing out unforeseen implications and making recommendations for design, the ability to define design reasoning, understanding potential impacts of design requirements.
- Thorough understanding of backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery. Collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.
At Liberty Mutual, our purpose is to help people embrace today and confidently pursue tomorrow. That’s why we provide an environment focused on openness, inclusion, trust and respect. Here, you’ll discover our expansive range of roles, and a workplace where we aim to help turn your passion into a rewarding profession.
Liberty Mutual has proudly been recognized as a “Great Place to Work” by Great Place to Work® US for the past several years. We were also selected as one of the “100 Best Places to Work in IT” on IDG’s Insider Pro and Computerworld’s 2020 list. For many years running, we have been named by Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers for Women and one of America’s Best Employers for New Graduates—as well as one of America’s Best Employers for Diversity. To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion please visit: https://jobs.libertymutualgroup.com/diversity-inclusion
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to make things better, and we put people first by offering you benefits that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We will not tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, pregnancy, genetic information or on any basis prohibited by federal, state or local law.