Arista Networks was founded to pioneer and deliver software-driven cloud networking solutions for large data center storage and computing environments. Arista’s award-winning platforms, ranging in Ethernet speeds from 10M to 400G bits per second, redefine scalability, agility and resilience. Arista has shipped more than 10 million cloud networking ports worldwide with CloudVision and EOS, an advanced network operating system. Committed to open standards, Arista is a founding member of the 25/50GbE consortium. Arista Networks products are available worldwide directly and through partners.
At the core of Arista's platform is the Extensible Operating System (EOS™), a ground-breaking network operating system with single-image consistency across hardware platforms, and modern core architecture enabling in-service upgrades and application extensibility.
Arista Networks is looking for world-class Senior/Lead Layer1 software engineers.
As a Layer1 software engineer, you will get to work on software that manages the physical layer, where packets meet the outside world. Stable and reliable physical connectivity is critical for any network and that is your challenge.You will get to write control software that brings to life everything from the ubiquitous 1GBASE-T connectors to 400G long reach optics that provide fiber connectivity across continents. Your software will need to work across a wide variety of forwarding engines, connectors and interface chips called gearboxes, which allow our hardware platforms to support diverse physical connectivity options within a product family. You will build instrumentation and telemetry tools that track physical link health parameters reported by the Layer1 components and enable operators to monitor and troubleshoot their links effectively. You will also work closely with our Optics teams to define standards for new media and bring them to market.
Arista Software Engineering roles demand a strong and broad software engineering background. While the primary focus area for this role is Layer1 software, the role will cover all aspects of software development spanning the addition of new features, debugging problems and fine tuning code for scalability and performance. You will own your projects from definition to deployment and customer interactions, and you will be responsible for the quality of everything you deliver.
Arista Software Engineering prides itself on a supportive and growth oriented culture. Over time, as your interests change, coupled with evolving business needs you will have the opportunity to switch from Layer1 to other areas, if you like.
- Interface with customers, product management and hardware engineers to come up with innovative new Layer1 features.
- Architect, design and manage the development of these features.
- Develop and maintain features using C, C++ and Python, review and contribute to functional and design specifications. Build automated tests and test infrastructure to test the features.
- Work with hardware and manufacturing teams to bring new Layer1 components like Phys and Transceivers to market.
- Collaborate with hardware engineers to design optimal software control interfaces for managing Layer1 components.
- Provide technical leadership across features, projects and tools.
- Work with Customer Support Engineers and customers to analyze, mitigate and fix problems in customer networks.
- Work with the System Test Engineers to analyze problems found in their tests and provide fixes for those problems.
- Mentor new and junior engineers to bring them up to speed in Arista's software development environment.
- BS Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering + 8 years experience, or MS Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering + 6 years experience, or Ph.D. in Computer Science/Electrical Engineering/Computer Engineering + 3 years experience, or equivalent work experience
- Expert knowledge of C or C++ and Python.
- Knowledge of UNIX or Linux
- Knowledge of digital communication technologies like modulation and signal encoding schemes is a plus.
- Understanding of IP networking and/or distributed systems is a plus
- Experience working with low level hardware components is a plus
- Applied understanding of software engineering principles
- Strong problem solving and software troubleshooting skills
- Ability to design a solution and implement features independently.
- Ability to work in small teams.
Where legally permitted, Arista requires all candidates for U.S.-based positions to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 or have an approved accommodation under applicable law. Candidates anticipating seeking an accommodation should contact Arista HR before their start date. Candidates accepting an offer must provide proof of vaccination status on their first day. All offers of employment are contingent upon complying with Arista's vaccination policy.