Agile Six is a people-first, remote-work company that serves shoulder-to-shoulder with federal agencies to find innovative, human-centered solutions. We build better by putting people first. We are animated by our core values of Purpose, Wholeness, Trust, Self-Management and Inclusion. We deliver our solutions in autonomous teams of self-managed professionals (no managers here!) who genuinely care about each other and the work. We know that’s our company’s purpose – and that we can only achieve it by supporting a culture where talented people feel valued, self-managed, and love to come to work.
Agile Six is seeking a senior front-end software engineer to join a highly collaborative Agile team working with the Department of Veterans Affairs to drive improvements to the Veteran experience across their digital platform, VA.gov. We’re looking for a candidate excited to build user-friendly, mobile-ready, accessible, and secure UIs using modern best practices, including continuous integration & testing and automated deployments in scalable cloud hosting environments.
While your initial responsibilities will primarily focus on front-end work using React and the US Web Design System, your responsibilities on the project will evolve naturally in alignment with your strengths and interests. You will likely have opportunities to contribute to a range of problems and learn new tools, languages and frameworks as necessary. As a teammate working in a fast-paced environment with talented and like-minded individuals, you possess sufficient self-awareness and trust in other team members to recognize when they're stuck and need help, and are willing to reach out rather than continue down a potentially unproductive path. You’re able to communicate clearly with technical and non-technical stakeholders to determine requirements and solutions. Most importantly, you will have a passion for working on important problems that have a lasting impact on millions of users and make a difference in our government!
- Create elegant and accessible web UI solutions primarily using ReactJS and the VA’s adaptation of the US Web Design System
- Ensure your work delivers the intended impact for Veterans by collaborating closely with team members to implement mobile-friendly approaches, accessibility best practices, and/or progressive web applications
- Help coordinate development activities across multiple teams through clear, proactive communication
- Along with fellow team mates, help the product owner prioritize user stories and clearly describe expected outcomes by providing guidance on the scope and complexity of technical efforts, resources required, etc.
- Help elevate the team’s culture of proficiency by (for example) guiding the development of pattern libraries, performing peer code reviews, and creating and maintaining well-organized source code and tooling related to front-end development
- Proactively find and reduce technical debt (with a focus on tech debt that is frequently an impediment to the rest of the team)
- At least four (4) years of experience as a software engineer
- At least two (2) years of experience using React
- Ability to solve complex problems both independently and collaboratively
- Experience driving sustainable quality, from writing testable code to implementing an effective degree of unit and automated tests
- An open ethos and comfort working and communicating “in the open,” including contributing to open source repositories, opening new issues, and participating in open/public discussions (e.g., on team Slack and Github)
- Belief in exploring alternatives and quickly building prototypes for hypothesis validation and iteration
Additional desired qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science or equivalent experience
- Familiarity with the US Web Design System
- Experience working with Government agencies
- You are a U.S. Veteran
Salary and Sixer Benefits
To promote equal pay for equal work, we publish set salary ranges for each position.
The salary for this position is $127,890 - $134,449
- Work/life balance and flexibility
- Competitive salary
- Profit sharing
- 401K matching
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off
- Paid federal holidays and Juneteenth off
- Company supplied laptop
- Certification assistance
- Professional development budget
We believe that strong teams start with exceptional talent, but ultimately thrive on collaboration and trust. At Agile Six you’ll frequently hear the phrase “Got Your Six.” Your 6 o'clock position refers to your back -- where you are most vulnerable. When we say we’ve “Got Your Six,” it means we’ve got your back. This foundation of trust is built into the DNA of Agile Six. When our clients and our team collaborate and work together within a tight circle of trust, truly great solutions emerge.
Agile Six Applications, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Note: We participate in E-Verify. Upon hire, we will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. This role is required to work from the contiguous United States.