Requisition #: SECUR003367
Job Title: Security Engineer II
Location: Herndon, VA 20170
Clearance Level: N/A
**Selected applicants may be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. **
- Support next generation Fortinet firewall capabilities: intrusion detection systems/intrusion prevention systems (IDS/IPS), URL Filtering, Antivirus, Application control, data loss prevention (DLP), SSL inspection, virtual private network (VPN) and others.
- Troubleshoot connectivity issues traversing the firewall, F5 and other SOC appliances. Use Splunk to troubleshoot appliance and network issues.
- Maintain firewalls and F5 health to ensure optimal uptime and performance.
- Maintain firewall policies across multiple clusters with creating, removing, and modifying firewall policies.
- Manage and administer SI’s endpoint protection tools, including Cylance (CylanceProtect and CylanceOPTICS).
- Evaluate and create new firewall zones when necessary.
- Perform research and execute on capabilities to enhance current infrastructure.
- Support incident response process by investigating incidents and mitigating attacks.
- Plan and perform system upgrades of SOC managed tools.
- Support firewalls in cloud environments.
- Create, modify and manage iRules on SI’s WAF (F5).
- Manage and administer Firemon tool and use data to perform firewall rulebase review and optimization.
- Monitor threat information and implement protections against them.
- Work with web team on website deployments and maintenance.
- Support Information Security Continuous Monitoring (ISCM) activities and strategy.
- Update and create new documentation (e.g. policies or procedures) when needed.
- Participation in research, selection, and implementation of security solutions.
- Actively work with SI Units and customers to address SOC requests and able to provide occasional briefings.
- Use SI’s Help Desk ticketing system to track and address assigned tickets.
- Support or lead assigned SOC engineering projects or initiatives.
- Participate in IT change control activities.
- Track and support tool maintenance renewals.
- Collaborate and communicate effectively with project teams and customers.
- Develop effective working relationships with colleagues and project stakeholders.
- Provide presentations to educate Smithsonian personnel about SOC tools and processes.
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with Fortinet and F5.
- Experience with administration of Cylance or similar anti-virus solutions.
- Advance knowledge of IT security principles, standards, and architectures.
- Proficient in network architectures and design to include network routing and switching.
- Experience with using log and event correlation tools (including Splunk) to perform troubleshooting and incident investigation.
Additional Skills & Qualifications
- Ability to work independently, with other teams and provide excellent customer support.
- Excellent writing, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with a variety of audiences in a broad range of formats to inform, collaborate and advise stakeholders.
- Must be well-organized and detail-oriented with the ability to coordinate, prioritize multiple tasks, and be adaptable to change to accomplish assignments.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with teams.
- The contractor must be responsible and capable of working with minimal supervision to effectively achieve the goals stated above, but also work well with others.
- Strong/Natural understanding of and ability to demonstrate the Agile Defense Core Values: Happy, Helpful, Honest, Humble, Hungry, Hustle
- Serves as a lead - there is an additional Jr. level Network Admin that this position works with.
- Work will be performed during an 8 hour workday during Smithsonian business hours (Monday-Friday between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm), except for occasional off hours work when specifically authorized.
- At this time, the team reports to the office one day or week, however, the candidate should be prepared for a full return to work scenario should the Government require it.
- The primary work location is considered to be the Smithsonian’s Herndon, VA facility, with occasional local travel to other Smithsonian facilities.
- General office environment.
- Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking for up to 10% of the time.
- The working environment is generally favorable.
- Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are not hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
- Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
- Sedentary – 10 lbs. Maximum lifting, occasional lift/carry of small articles.
- Some occasional walking or standing may be required.
- Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
- Stand or Sit
- Repetitive Motion
- Use Hands / Fingers to Handle or Feel
- Stoop, Kneel, Crouch, or Crawl
- Talk or Hear
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
As a federal contractor, Agile Defense is subject to any federal vaccine mandates or other customer/facility vaccination requirements. As such, to protect the health and safety of its employees and to comply with customer requirements, Agile Defense may require employees in certain positions to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Vaccination requirements will depend on the status of the federal contractor mandate and customer site requirements.
Agile Defense is an Information Technology Solutions provider committed to partnering with our customers to deliver the highest level of service to our customers. We provided Information Technology (IT) services to the U.S. Government, including several United States Civil agencies and various branches within the U.S. Department of Defense.
Agile Defense has established a solid reputation of partnering with our customers to deliver innovative IT solutions with our “Listen. Think. Innovate.” philosophy.
At Agile Defense, we know that our employees are our most important asset. We believe in our responsibility to our fellow employees, customers, company, and to our country. We promote teamwork, integrity, and creativity; we expect our fellow employees to also live these values.