The General Manager (GM) leads the Assistant Manager, Shift Leads and Baristas to deliver an exceptional coffee experience and beverage with the utmost in hospitality and kindness to every customer in our retail café. The Manager is responsible for the operations, customer and employee experience and for providing quality coffee beverages and coffee knowledge. Your leadership will require that you act with integrity & respect, promote a safe, clean and healthy work environment, be fiscally responsible, deliver financial results, produce quality work, train and develop all team members and self, you are ethical and are passionate about coffee.
- Creates a culture of hiring, training, developing and retaining employees at all levels
- Provides an exceptional coffee experience every time and expects it with every member of the team
- Continuously develops self and team in coffee knowledge and shares it with customers
- Strong leadership skills with professional maturity
- Inspires and motivates a positive internal environment
- Communicates regularly with team, provides positive and constructive feedback and holds quarterly team meetings
- Create timely and complete schedules, taking into consideration of business and employees needs
- Completes payroll accurately and submits it within the proper timeframe.
- Models hospitality and is in service to the customer. Acts to resolve customer concerns and is always looking for ways to make the experience better
- Monitors, coaches and encourages team members to the exceed the customer’s expectations through the team’s execution of the operations, processes, recipes and knowledge
- Know all products, including ingredients, quality consistency positioning and signage with the ability to answer questions that might come up from staff or customers.
- Completes required inventories and accurate ordering in the proper time to grow the business.
- Manage the store’s financial performance and costs to include accurate cash controls and product ordering
- Completes the weekly financial corporate requirements accurately and in a timely manner.
- Is relentless to find ways to drive sales and create new customers. Monitors Key Performance Indicators and is always looking for areas to improve
- Demonstrates a passion for coffee and inspires it in others
- Management experience in specialty coffee, retail, hospitality and/or customer service industries is required
- Experience managing a profitable & operationally sound single café/restaurant preferred
- Must maintain current state issued SERVSafe Manager Certificate.
- Experience recruiting, hiring and managing staff
- An ability to provide a high level of customer service.
- Proven ability to understand and execute on an organization’s goals and objectives.
- Enjoys working on a team and collaborating as a team player
- Leadership, relationship, team building and conflict management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - both oral and written.
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, manage competing multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience reviewing financial reports and meeting budgets.
- Able to work full time (the work regularly demands in excess of 45 hours per week) including variable hours including early morning, evenings, weekend and/or holidays
- Ability to lead change, deal with the ambiguity and the prioritizing need to run a fast-paced environment
- Experience with POS touch screen, Microsoft Office, Google Suite and other computer skills.
- Minimum High School or GED
Equator Coffees is an award-winning coffee roaster, retail operator, and coffee farm owner headquartered in Marin County, CA. Founded in 1995 by Brooke McDonnell and Helen Russell, Equator's strong commitment to a sustainable, transparent approach spans more than two decades. Today, Equator operates nine cafes in the San Francisco Bay Area. Since our founding Equator has been a leader in sustainability and social responsibility. In 2011, Equator formalized its commitment to sustainability by becoming a certified B Corporation, making it the first California coffee roaster to do so. If you believe what we believe, in racial and gender equality - come join the Equator team. We’re always looking for motivated people to join us in our retail cafes and at our Marin, California headquarters. We’re especially interested if you love spending as much time as possible drinking coffee, feel more at home in a coffee shop than an office, and have a passion for something greater. We are proud anti racists and supporters of the LGBTQ+ community. We welcome and encourage people who are authentic, kind, passionate and love coffee.
We will carefully review your application and respond personally to applicants that best match the qualifications for the open positions. We consider all qualified applicants for employment with out discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, marital status, national origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or any other applicable legally protected characteristics by federal, state or local law. Equator Coffees is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.