NYU Grossman School of Medicine is one of the nation's top-ranked medical schools. For 175 years, NYU Grossman School of Medicine has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history and enrich the lives of countless people. An integral part of NYU Langone Health, the Grossman School of Medicine at its core is committed to improving the human condition through medical education, scientific research, and direct patient care. For more information, go tomed.nyu.edu, and interact with us onLinkedIn,Glassdoor,Indeed,Facebook,TwitterandInstagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Research Technician.The research involves conducting experiments in the area of bacterial pathogenesis and immune response to bacterial infections. Responsibilities include conducting common experimental techniques that include bacterial culture, protein purification and isolation, and experimentation with human blood and primary human immune cells. Applicants must also be willing to work with small animals and infectious agents. More information about our laboratory can be found at: https://www.torreslab.org
IMPORTANT: This position is only suited for an individual highly motivated that seeks to build a portfolio of research accomplishments in preparation for acquiring a higher degree in biomedical research or medicine in the future.
- Participates and performs other related duties as required.
- Lab Duties - advanced lab duties, under general supervision as well as more advanced duties under direct supervision. Assists senior and supervisory technicians in all advanced procedures. In addition to those duties expected of an Associate Research Technician, Research Technicians may be expected to coordinate the repair and preventive maintenance of lab equipment. Additionally, is expected to assist in experiments using established protocols and procedures, and records results of experiments.
- Assist in Developing Procedures - Assists in implementing new procedures and protocols to support experiments. Participates actively in developing, recommending and implementing new approved procedures, or modifications to existing protocols and procedures. Maintains and updates technical knowledge.
- Communication/Relationship with Others - Cooperates, communicates and relates well to all levels of Medical Center. Listens carefully to others in order to respond appropriately, answer questions or obtain needed information. Communicates ideas, problems, suggestions, and messages in a timely and effective manner. Maintains the confidentiality of all research information.
- Judgment/Decision-Making - Is able to recognize problems as they occur; and through the application of appropriate policy/ procedure, determine and/or recommends the appropriate solution. Seeks guidance as necessary for the performance of duties asks appropriate questions when in doubt and utilizes reference sources/materials to endure accuracy. Advises appropriate personnel of situations/problems requiring intervention or follow-up attention.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Life Sciences or a related field with one year of experience. Advanced (beyond basic lab training will be accepted in lieu of experience as assessed by the hiring Principal Investigator). Effective oral and written communication skills required.
Recent college graduate with a B.S. or B.A. in Biomedical or Physical Sciences (Pre-Masters / Pre-Ph.D.). A minimum commitment of two years is required. Some hands-on laboratory experience is desired and prior familiarity with bacterial culturing, tissue culture, and/or laboratory animals will be highly valued. Preference will be given to candidates having previous experience working with tissue culture. The successful applicant should be interested in working in a collaborative environment, be able to learn techniques quickly and have good written, verbal, and computer skills.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Grossman School of Medicine is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Grossman School of Medicine's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.