A part-time research technician position is available in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Rice University under the supervision of Dr. Lauren Stadler: https://www.stadler.rice.edu/ . The position is part-time (approximately 3 days/week), and involves both field work and laboratory tasks. The project is focused on assessing the performance of emerging biofilm-based wastewater treatment technologies in the face of extreme wet weather events.
The field work includes operating, maintaining, and collecting samples from two pilot systems- a membrane aerated bioreactor (MABR) and a moving bed bioreactor (MBBR), located at a City of Houston wastewater treatment facility. The candidate must have a valid driver's license. We have a vehicle for traveling to/from the laboratory and wastewater treatment plant. The research tech will be expected to check on the pilot systems; perform routine maintenance such as flushing lines, cleaning out the pumps and screens, calibrating probes, changing out desiccant etc.; troubleshoot issues as directed by the pilot vendors; and collect routine samples for water quality analyses.
Laboratory tasks will include performing water quality analysis. The research technician will be trained on water quality analysis such as: measuring chemical oxygen demand (COD), biological oxygen demand (BOD), solids content, ammonia-N, nitrate-N in domestic wastewater samples.
- Operating, maintaining, and collecting samples from two pilot systems: a membrane aerated bioreactor (MABR) and a moving bed bioreactor (MBBR)
- Check on the pilot systems, perform routine maintenance such as flushing lines, cleaning out the pumps and screens, calibrating probes, changing out desiccant etc.
- Troubleshoot issues as directed by the pilot vendors
- Collect routine samples for water quality analyses and perform water quality analysis
- Assists in conducting research and experiments
- Collects and tracks basic data using spreadsheets and database
- Prepares procurement requests and orders materials and supplies, manages sample and stock database, sets up and manages experiments, and maintains research results for publications
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Valid Driver's License
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 3 years of related experience in environmental engineering, chemical engineering, water/wastewater treatment, bioreactor operation, water quality analysis
- Additional education may be substituted for experience
- Ability to use word processing and spreadsheet software, Microsoft Office Suite
- Basic math and research skills
- Good organization skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to listen and communicate effectively (verbal, written)
- Ability to work independently and in team environments
- Ability to conduct basic evaluation and analysis of data
- Ability to maintain quality, safety and/or infection control standards
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.