GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Laboratory Technician I, performs a variety of specimen preparatory techniques, dry lab data collection, and routine laboratory maintenance.
- Perform a variety of laboratory experiments using both routine and special techniques and methods
- Assist in more complex laboratory tasks
- Collect, analyze, and process laboratory samples
- Record results, organize data, and perform basic computations
- Maintain laboratory supplies and equipment
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Ability to perform duties independently
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator or designee
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionucleotides, toxins, animals, and human specimens.Additional Information:
Program in Innate Immunity
Division of Infectious Diseases and Immunology
University of Massachusetts Medical School
We are seeking a highly motivated and organized individual to join us in investigating mechanisms of immune activation, bacterial pathogenesis and immunometabolism. The selected candidate will work on experimental research projects directly with the principal investigator and postdoctoral fellows (80%) and will also spend about 20% of his/her effort on management duties, which include purchasing and organizing supplies, supervising equipment maintenance, and preparing stock solutions. A productive technician will also have the opportunity to lead an independent project within the lab.
A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably with formal study in molecular biology, biochemistry, or chemistry. The candidate must be responsible, organized and have strong communication and interpersonal skills, and be willing to work in a highly collaborative and open research environment. Previous experience in scientific research is a great asset, but common sense and enthusiasm are more important than experience.
This is a full-time position offers competitive salary/ fringe benefits, commensurate with experience. A 2-year minimum commitment is required.
Dr. Pukkila-Worley is a physician-scientist who sees patients on the infectious diseases consult service at UMass Memorial hospital. He also serves on the Admissions Committee for the MD, PhD Program at UMass Chan. Thus, this is an ideal opportunity for individuals interested in gaining biomedical research experience before applying to graduate or medical school. Applications from more senior research scientists and laboratory managers are also welcome.
- A cover letter explaining your reasons for wanting to join our laboratory
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- College transcript for recent graduates
Two letters of reference will be needed upon request