We are seeking a Research Assistant for Joslin’s CRISPR Screen Core and Section for Islet Cell and Regenerative Biology. The laboratory is applying genome-wide CRISPR screen technique to investigate various questions in beta cell biology, including beta cell stress, function, allotransplantation tolerance, as well as human beta cell proliferation. The individual will be responsible for helping to design, execute, and analyze genome-wide CRISPR based knockout screen or overexpression screens in mammalian cells, as well as generate mutant cell lines for validation and follow-up studies, for projects within the lab and throughout Joslin. The individual will also assist in ongoing experiments involving beta cell protection, replication, and neogenesis. This position involves techniques in molecular biology, cell biology, and animal work.
- Collaborate with investigators on the design and execution of CRISPR screens for questions related to Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- Culture different mammalian cell types using sterile techniques
- Generate lentiviral stocks for CRISPR-delivery
- Perform various selection/sorting assays (Drug selection, flow cytometry, in vivo transplant, etc.)
- Prepare DNA for high-throughput sequencing and analyze results
- Clone plasmids to generate new constructs
- Assist in troubleshooting procedures
- Report on progress of work in laboratory meetings.
- Maintain accurate, detailed, and up-to-date records of all procedures performed and results obtained
- Place orders for supplies and help with general lab organization and maintenance
- Train other lab members on techniques/procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- B.A. or B.S. in Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Chemistry, or related discipline
- Previous undergraduate or post-graduate lab experience
- Familiarity with basic laboratory instruments and equipment
- Experience with cell culture and molecular biology is preferred
- Previous experience with CRISPR-based engineering and lentivirus is an advantage
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong organizational, analytical, and communication skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently and with others
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.