Under supervision, The Research Assistant (Flow Cytometry Core) assists with the operation of three cell sorters.
In this role you will assist with the training and helping of users with two cell analyzers.
To be successful in this role you should be a self-motivated and independent worker.
Click here to learn more about Joslin's Flow Cytometry Core
As a health care organization, we have the responsibility to do everything in our power to care for and protect our patients, our colleagues and our communities. We require that all staff be vaccinated against influenza (flu) and COVID-19 as a condition of employment.
- Assist with the operation of three complex cell sorters and two analyzers for flow cytometric cell isolation and multiparameter analysis.
- Aid other members of the Flow Cytometry Core perform routine maintenance on the cell sorters their software functions, in connection with the supplier, and under the supervision of the Core Staff.
- Advise and assist investigators with study design.
- Help guide investigators with the best choice of reagents, protocols, etc with regards to instrumentation.
- Perform data transfer, backup, safeguarding operations.
- Perform routine maintenance of two cytometric fluorescence cell analyzers, train new users to use equipment and oversee daily usage.
- Prepare buffers and reagents; help maintain stocks of consumables for the facility, as directed by the Core Manager.
- Troubleshoot problems with software and instrumentation, and assist investigators with troubleshooting of their experiments and data.
- Demonstrates ability to interact with others in a positive, collegial and constructive manner.
- Provides courteous and helpful service to investigators who seek assistance with flow cytometry needs.
- Adhere to schedule, keeping consistent hours, as agreed upon with the Core Manager.
- Work extended hours, weekends and holidays on an exceptional basis, as agreed upon with the Core Manager.
- Accurately perform general laboratory duties within established timeframe and according to established procedure
- Adhere to lab safety protocols when working with biological and other hazardous materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field
- Experience in flow cytometry techniques is strongly preferred
- Cell culture and knowledge of aseptic techniques would be a plus
- Knowledge and ability to perform cell staining and analysis would be a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills are a must
- PC and Mac computer skills desired