Delta Star is the largest, American-owned medium power transformer manufacturer in the United States and the premier manufacturer of mobile transformers and mobile power substations in North America. Delta Star has an immediate opening for Regional Operations Manager - Field Service (Remote)
Full Time, Salary Position
Delta Star provides power solutions for utilities across North America. This includes the manufacturing of medium-power transformers, mobile transformers, mobile electrical substations, trailers, and unitized substations. We offer power transformers for utility applications including power and distribution, transmission voltages, system ties, and automatic voltage regulations, as well as industrial applications. Delta Star also provides comprehensive engineering, testing, maintenance services, and parts for any transformer manufacturer through our Field Service business unit, ensuring our customer's transformers and mobiles maintain peak performance.
The Regional Operations Manager (ROM) will lead and administer all execution and operations activities for their respective region (East or West USA). As the head of your assigned region, you will have total ownership and accountability for all major assets and field personnel, in addition to some P&L responsibilities, and responsibility for strategy, capital planning, resource allocation and utilization, scheduling, project management, execution, safety, quality, and customer satisfaction. The ROM could directly manage field technicians geographically dispersed throughout their region, project manager(s), scheduler(s), planner(s), etc.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Requires thorough knowledge of field service operations in the transformer/substation industry.
- Prepare budgets, provide forecasts, manage and approve project costs, cost center spend, etc.
- Monthly tracking and reporting on major Key Performance Indicators (KPI).
- Mentor, train, and further develop field service staff on a continuous and ongoing basis ensuring fair and equitable treatment.
- Provide accurate and timely communication to staff regarding performance and goal setting, performance evaluations, salary increases or adjustments, coaching, training, and/or disciplinary action.
- Prioritize schedules, delegate work assignments, and directly supervise field service staff to ensure the timely and accurate execution of billable work orders. Errors or poor decisions may result in delays, rework, or the inefficient use of resources, which can directly affect cost of poor quality and/or the company's bottom line financially.
- Directly handles and has oversight of all execution activities including but not limited to: job walks, customer specification review, work scope development, technical quotation review, terms and conditions review, customer negotiation, order entry, job trip pack development, scheduling, coordination, material procurement, resource scheduling and allocation, preparing detail work instructions, safety surveys, change order creation and submittal, report review and submittal, invoicing, cash collection, and project close out.
- Reviews current equipment capabilities, processes, or other methods of execution or operating and provides analysis, recommendations, or implements measures to utilize alternative approaches that could lead to more favorable outcomes, such as continuous improvements, cost reduction, efficiency gains, and/or improving customer/employee satisfaction.
- Monitors all execution and operations activities and has the ability to anticipate potential problems, while concurrently taking the appropriate corrective actions to remedy the situation while optimizing costs to the business.
- Works directly with regional or national salesforce with business development activities supporting sales calls, in-person sales calls, key account or alliance strategy development, assisting with quotation development when needed, presenting technical or sales presentations, and/or through presence at industry events.
- Works directly with Engineering, Quality, and EHS managers to ensure all policies and processes are being adhered to and remain within compliance.
- Familiarity with layout, construction, and basic maintenance practices of transformer oil processing equipment and SF6 gas handling equipment desired.
- DOT and OSHA regulations basic understanding required. Additional training or knowledge in NFPA70E, IEEE, NETA standards, or other substation training/certifications is a plus.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in the transformer or substation service industry. Preferred 10+
- Minimum of 3 years of experience directly managing remote field service employees required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, Business, or related field. Alternatively, a special combination of education, experience, and/or demonstrated accomplishments can be evaluated and accepted at the discretion of Delta Star Field Service management.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Stellar customer focus and strong relationship building skills, both externally and internally proven
- Excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and drive positive change through influence and through direct "boots on the ground" action
- Must have a positive attitude, willing to help in any area mentality, and the desire to learn new skills.
- Willingness to travel approximately 20-30% of the time or based on customer/market demand. Potentially more if based remotely.
- Work location preferred to be at Delta Star's Field Service office located in in Forest, VA or other satellite Field Service office location(s). However, remote home-based candidates will also be accepted.
- Support industry events and Delta Star events as required to support and grow the business.
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K, ESOP, Life and Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off, Floating Holidays, and Sick Pay
AAP/EEO STATEMENT Delta Star is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.