Thales Defense & Security, Inc. is a global company serving the defense, federal, and commercial markets with innovative solutions for the ground tactical, airborne and avionics, naval/maritime, and public safety and security domains. In addition to mission-critical communication systems, the company provides helmet-mounted displays and motion tracking technologies; SATCOM terminals; advanced sonar systems; and data protection solutions. Furthermore, the company serves as a gateway for technology, leveraging Thales-wide solutionsâ€”such as combat management systems; naval, airborne, and ground ISR; and electronic warfareâ€”to address U.S. requirements.
We are seeking an Algorithms / Software Engineer in our Billerica MA office to implement and improve Visual-Inertial Navigation algorithms, software, and products, as part of our Motion Tracking Research and Development team.
The health and safety of our employees is a top-priority at Thales Defense & Security, Inc. In order to provide the safest possible environment for our employees, their loved ones, our customers and the communities in which we do business, every employee is expected to do his/her/their part by getting vaccinated and following our safety protocols.
- Competitive Salary
- Yearly Incentive Bonus Program
- Generous 401(k) program - up to 7% company contribution and 100% immediate vesting
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid wellness, vacation, and holiday leave
- Paid maternity, paternity, and parental leave
- 9/80 Work Schedule (every other Friday off)
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, passionate about his/her/their work, and versatile enough to solve a wide variety of engineering problems. This person will be part of a small and agile, advanced projects team that works closely with product engineering to bring to market cutting edge, motion-tracking and display technologies for an array of applications, most notably head-mounted augmented reality systems used in fighter jets and other military and civilian applications.
- Design, defend, implement, evaluate, document, and improve motion tracking / navigation algorithms that fuse inertial sensing, computer vision, and other aiding sensors, emphasizing 6D pose tracking for head mounted displays and hand carried objects, and 3D position tracking for people.
- Convert algorithms into demonstrations and product software embedded in motion tracking and navigation systems.
- Debug demos and products to improve their robustness and usability.
- Publish (e.g., conference or journal) developments and results of those activities.
- Design and maintain software architecture that facilitates periodic versioning of improved product software; and understand and upgrade components of that software.
- Collaborate with, R&D, engineering, business development, and field applications, personnel to accomplish Specific Responsibilities.
- Participate in morning stand up meetings.
- Communicate effectively with the engineering, business development and advanced projects teams regarding ongoing challenges, solutions and capabilities.
- Write and debug new and existing code while working independently or in a small group.
- Collect, analyze and interpret experimental data, including applying statistical techniques.
- Stay up to date with the latest advancements in relevant sensor fusion and computer vision techniques.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualifications â€“ Required
- U.S. Citizenship Required.
- May be selected for work that requires ability to obtain and maintain US Secret Level Security Clearance.
- BS in field relevant to motion tracking software (e.g., software engineering, computer science, computer engineering).
- 8+ years experience.
- Ability to manage all elements of a project.
- Ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Understanding of, and experience implementing and meaningfully enhancing, real time Visual-Inertial Navigation algorithms (especially with Kalman Filters).
- Fluency in C++.
- Ability to travel 10% of the time.
Ability to comply with all Company guidelines, policies, procedures and embrace Company Core Values.
Qualifications â€“ Desired
- Experience with navigation sensor fusion beyond vision and inertial sensors.
- Experience interfacing Visual Inertial Navigation software to hardware.
- Fluency in Simulink, C, MATLAB, and/or Python.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; in particular, ability to explain technical concepts to less technical customers.
- Experience with camera and IMU calibration.
- MS/PhD in such field with thesis related to motion tracking software.
- Experience developing applications and libraries for Windows and Linux.
- Experience using modern software development methods, processes and tools.
- Experience with relevant open source libraries, e.g. OpenCV, Eigen, Ceres.
- Experience developing large-scale software.
- Experience with C#, Unity, and Qt.
- Experience networking embedded systems.
For specific questions about this job posting, candidates may contact the recruiter at email@example.com.
Thales champions inclusion and we believe diversity strengthens the fabric of our culture. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disabled. Thales is an E-Verify employer.
Thales is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, age or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you need an accommodation or assistance in order to apply for a position with Thales, please call Human Resources at 240-864-7630.