Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device.We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you will lead the evolution of Roblox Studio and our cloud services. Roblox Studio is a world-class cloud-based IDE that facilitates instant synchronization between game developers, enables multi-party script editing, and manages a cloud-based repository.
You will work within a full-stack team to deliver compelling features related to a collaborative development for Roblox creators. One of the areas will be around our flagship Team Create product which enables creators to collaborate in real-time with friends and co-workers. We believe that collaboration and large teams are the future of building one's imagination on Roblox and you will develop features which unlock that vision. Join us in our mission to make collaboration development in the Metaverse performant, social and most of all fun!
- Experienced: you have at least 7+ years experience and you've worked on deep and challenging problems in complex C++ codebases. You hold a BS or MS in Computer Science.
- Understands Scale: Building available and scalable systems are your strength
- Hands-on: Experience with microsystem architecture, multithreading and networking. Develop end to end and bring features from vision to life. Expert in component-based front-end libraries and frameworks with a commanding grasp of what it takes to build performant user flows
- Responsible: you build systems that work and keep on working reliably. Handling potential failure cases, and diligent in automated testing.
- Curious: you want to learn, and stay up-to-date on technology developments
- Collaborative: Excellent communication skills and follow-through
Nice to have:
- Familiarity how version control systems work under the hood is a plus
- Familiarity with file storage systems
- Familiarity with the internals of database systems is also a plus
- Plan complex technical features E2E in our game engine and in the Studio UI that will allow developers to grow in our community
- Establish the foundational architecture and technical direction to enable Studio to keep expanding its capabilities
- Work cross functionally, across teams and technology platforms to deliver high quality and amazing user functionality
- Lead by example and mentor engineers to implement technological best practices, patterns, and strategies
- Improve the product quality by promoting automation testing
- Participate in building the world's best professional application for massively multiplayer game development
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.