We are building the future of Distributed Energy Resource (DER) connectivity! Decentralization is revolutionizing the energy industry, and Derapi is leading the charge to realize the full potential of Distributed Energy. Derapi’s unified data infrastructure provides simple, reliable, and secure access to a multitude of supported DER devices through a single point of integration. Derapi reduces complexity and accelerates time to market for our customers, and extends the market reach and product value for our partners.
Led by one of the most experienced teams in the industry, our founders have combined over 50 years’ of experience in technology, including 30 years working in energy and climate. Derapi is also backed by some of the strongest VC firms and investors across climate, deep tech, and software including Earthshot, Ubiquity, and Union Labs Ventures.
At Derapi, our philosophy is to leave everything we touch better than we found it. This applies to our planet, our coworkers, our customers, and our company. When it comes to our team, it means investing in personal development, resourcing people for success, and exposing each other to a diversity of ideas, backgrounds, and people.
About this role
Derapi is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our early-stage, venture-backed
company and play a significant role in building and designing the future of distributed energy. On day one, you’ll jump right into directly architecting our software stack and as we grow you will be responsible for scaling our engineering team and maintaining a culture of excellence and innovation. As a Principal Software Engineer, you will help drive the development of a unified data platform for our DER clients.
What you’ll bring
- In-depth knowledge of industry best practices, technologies, architectures, and emerging technologies, ideally focused on enterprise SaaS
- Experience delivering long-term architectural solutions for applications at scale
- Experience driving engineering design using Agile processes to drive innovation, and accelerate decisions and outcomes while minimizing risk
- Experience in making successful trade-offs that balance the short and long-term goals and initiatives
- Ability to think at a strategic level, while being ready to dig in and get your hands dirty on actual implementation
- Ability to work with cross-org stakeholders to plan and deliver critical services
- Experience with all phases of the software development life cycle; including initial ideation, implementation, testing, and iteration
- A strong commitment to mentorship and making your fellow engineers better
- A passion for using your skills to address global climate change
- Extensive experience guiding engineering teams in architecting large-scale, high-throughput environments
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey complex systems to C-level execs
- 10+ years of experience delivering highly scalable and resilient software
- 7+ years of experience designing secure and scalable services on AWS, Azure, GCP, or similar cloud services experience
- In-depth experience developing and implementing customer-facing APIs and associated documentation
- In-depth experience delivering geo-distributed architectural solutions
- Strong familiarity with API to API translation and automation
- Strong ability to orchestrate, maintain, and deploy services using infrastructure as code and containerized deployments
- Strong working knowledge of Docker and Kubernetes in a production environment
- Strong familiarity with the front-end technologies our customers use (such as TypeScript / NodeJS / React)
What you’ll do:
- Work directly with the founders to architect a new, customer-facing API from the ground-up
- Help build our engineering team by recruiting top talent and setting the appropriate cultural tone
- Design and champion solutions and propose new technologies for solving engineering problems
- Configure and optimize services for performance and scale
- Build accurate and clear system documentation
- This role will require quarterly attendance at in-person team meetings in the San Francisco Bay Area, and additional in-person meetings or out-of-town travel as needed
We offer a compensation package that is based on location and experience. We also offer the following benefits:
- Competitive salary: Based on experience
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing, venture-backed company in climate tech
- Benefits: Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Wellness: Monthly Health and Wellness stipend
- Family Friendly Focus: Progressive parental leave and flexibility for families
- Time Off: Unlimited vacation policy to encourage work-life balance
- Personal Days: We encourage our employees to take time off for voting, volunteer work, and personal days as needed
- Home office: Budget for equipment and stipend for home and mobile internet.
- Great team: Working with fun, hard-working, kind people committed to making a difference! Opportunity to join an exciting and growing start-up in a meaningful industry
- Quarterly team meet-ups: We value camaraderie and in-person team time and will be hosting regular team meet-ups in SF and other locations
Equal opportunity employer statement
Derapi is committed to building a diverse and inclusive team. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. If you’re the best person for the job, we want you on board!
For Colorado-based candidates, the range being offered for this role is $150,000 - $180,000 based on experience. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of this law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
How to submit your application
- In your cover letter, please describe three relevant software products you have worked on highlighted in your portfolio including any significant contributions.
- If you have worked for a startup, please share the stage that you joined and any insights that you learned from the experience.
- Please share information on your experience in the energy industry specific to DERs, if applicable.