We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a focus on front-end technology and design systems to join our team. The main responsibilities of this role will be to lead web projects such as large-scale feature rollouts and redesigns with a secondary focus of helping to drive the future of our front-end technology. At various times you will be working on projects to implement the design system and others be working to expand it.
We need you to help us maintain great, high-quality websites and collaborate with a team of talented people who are thoughtful, inclusive, respect each other, and who tackle hard problems. As a senior contributor, we want you to be someone who helps the web move forward. Contributing to W3C working groups and/or major open-source projects are strongly encouraged.
PMC’s Product, Engineering, and Project (PEP) team is distributed while remaining close and supportive. We believe that everyone on the team contributes and has room for growth. Some of the ways we do this include blameless postmortems, a yearly in-person all-team summit, flexible schedules, and real work-life balance. We have a structured engineering career ladder with pay bands for each level to help you grow and you will have support and mentorship from multiple people. We are also eager to learn from you, as we recognize that everyone's individual background and experiences make the team better.
While this post is for Principal Software Engineer, we are open to hiring at another level for the right candidate.
- Develop interactive front-end features for our websites using current standard technologies and frameworks
- Creating tools, processes, and code that will be shared across dozens (or hundreds) of sites, and maintained by multiple teams
- Develop UI to match mockups and wireframes
- Help lead cross-browser compatibility and performance, with heavy emphasis on automated testing
- Identify and suggest new ways to improve our development processes to help meet overall team and project goals
- Follow company guidelines and keep a high standard of code quality
- Create technical documentation and specs on an as-needed basis for your projects
You do not need to check every box for the experience below. If you are passionate about this opportunity, we would love to hear from you.
- Advanced use of CSS, and respect for CSS as a programming language
- Experience with design systems
- Knowledge of how the web works and how to make it efficient (HTTP/S, caching, page rendering, etc.)
- Deep understanding of cross-browser development, mobile browser behavior, browser feature support, and Core Web Vitals
- Experience with PHP, WordPress, and Twig
- Experience developing WordPress at scale
- Good understanding of frontend SEO and accessibility standards
- Enthusiasm for Agile principles and values
- Ability to work with distributed teams
- Enjoy debugging complex problems
- Proven record of delivering on your commitments and communicating risks
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including communicating with VP and SVP-level executives
- Experience with website development in the media, entertainment, or publishing industries
The Hiring Process
Your resume will be reviewed within a week of us receiving it. Every round is designed to give you an opportunity to meet members of our team and ask questions. The first round will be with the Senior Director of Editorial Technology and Director of Engineering and will focus on general engineering. The second and third rounds are more focused on specifics, with one being deeper technical questions and the other focusing more on how you like to work. Occasionally there will be a fourth round with a senior member of our team. There are no coding tests, brain teasers, or algorithm challenges. We want to know about you, how you think, and what working with you will be like.
It’s all About You…
At PMC, your wellness is top of mind. We offer a comprehensive benefits package to nurture you and your loved ones, including pets! Our package includes Healthcare (medical, dental, and vision) HSA with an employer contribution, FSA (Healthcare, Dependent Care & Commuter), EAP, Life Insurance, 401K with an employer match, Paid Parental Leave, Long-term Disability, generous Paid Time off (PTO), Pet Insurance, and Home & Auto insurance. Our Wellness initiatives rotate yoga, meditation, wellness weeks on a variety of topics, and financial wellness. We continuously elevate our offerings with more, for you.
About Penske Media Corporation:
PMC is a leading global media and information services company whose award-winning content attracts a passionate audience. Since 2004, Penske Media has been a pioneer in digital media and a platform innovator, reaching viewers on all screens across its ever-growing constellation of iconic brands, which includes Variety, Rolling Stone, The Hollywood Reporter, Billboard, WWD, SHE Media, Robb Report, Deadline, Sportico, BGR, ARTnews, Fairchild Media, Vibe, IndieWire, Dirt, Gold Derby and Spy.com, among many others. PMC’s journalists and content creators deliver daily the most comprehensive news and information in their industries and areas of coverage, unequaled in ambition, depth, and courage. In addition, PMC owns several vital cultural events such as SXSW, LA3C, and Life is Beautiful. Headquartered in New York and Los Angeles with additional offices in 14 countries worldwide, PMC believes companies should not only be profitable but also forces for good. To learn more about PMC, our 2% Foundation, and our portfolio of brands, please visit www.PMC.com.See job description