Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device.We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
WHY USER BEHAVIOR?
Safety and Civility is Roblox's #1 priority and our mission is to protect our community. As a Principal Software Engineer (Backend), you will be part of the highest priority organization at Roblox that features diverse work in product/mobile engineering, machine learning, data engineering, and traditional high throughput and low latency microservices to detect issues in real time. You'll be focused on building the infrastructure to monitor the user's behavior and move it toward more civil engagement. We are looking for engineers who are passionate about solving problems that haven't been solved before with a user-facing focus. Our clients serve over 200M Daily Active Users and thousands of internal tools users who support our community. You will have a high impact and will directly affect our hundreds of millions of monthly users.
- A Technical Leader: You have initiated and facilitated challenging technical solutions. Your technical expertise influences product direction. You foster a culture of technical excellence.
- Excited to build consumer-facing products at high scale
- Passionate about building products for online communities
- Versatile: Comfortable with several languages and technologies already. You are resourceful, and take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems.
- Analytical: Excited to investigate large, ambiguous problems, and measure the problems and the solutions.
- User Oriented: You always start with the needs of the user, whether they are Roblox users or internal engineers before architecting a solution.
- Team Oriented: You lift up your peers and find ways to make the team stronger.
- Interested in keeping the next generation of internet users safe and civil as they interact online
- Help build backend services across large distributed systems
- You'll manage writing unit and integration tests
- Determine and resolve performance issues
- Help establish next-generation standards on the backend web and service stack
- Participate in building the world's best user generated gaming platform
- Report to the Engineering Manager of Safety & Civility
- 8+ years of experience building highly-available and large-scale distributed backend services
- 8+ years of experience in software development
- 8+ years of experience building and shipping products to production
- 8+ years of experience working on multi-person codebases, including open-source or personal projects
- 8+ years experience developing large-scale backend services
Nice to Have:
- 9+ years of experience in software development
- Familiar with Python, Go, and C#
- Experience using big data query/processing languages and tools such as SQL, Hive, Spark and Airflow
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Applied Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, or other technical field
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.