The Principal Embedded Software Engineer will develop a working knowledge of the system at both the high and low levels for the purposes of assuring the system has been thoroughly thought through, is documented, and tested such that it achieves the quality expected for a commercial Class III active implantable system. The candidate will be responsible for analyzing, designing programming, debugging and modifying software for Presidio’s next generation SCS system. The candidate will also a develop a deep understanding of the Quality Management Process such that they will be able to contribute to the design, development and testing of the Product within those guidelines. The candidate will work with the Quality department to assure that all the process documentation is complete, reviewed, and approved, specifically Test Plans, Protocols, and Reports.
The Principal Embedded Software Engineer shall be able to work with both software and hardware engineers and the scientific staff to troubleshoot code for firmware (IC embedded code) applications and assist with development when required. At times this may required extended stays at locations within and outside of the US.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initial responsibilities include test development and debugging on the current generation system FW to support DVT activities.
- Hands-on lead development of embedded software for Presidio Medical’s next generation SCS system.
Minimum of 10+ years software development insafety oriented regulated industries, such as medical device, automotive and defense, or advanced degree with a minimum of 7 years relevant experience.
- Managing and delivering complex embedded software projects on time and with excellent quality
- Excellent knowledge on Embedded software design with systems, protocols, networking, algorithms, and performance
- Ability to architect, design and analyze diverse solutions based on evolving requirements
- Extensive experience working through formal change control, expert knowledge medical device software guidance and regulations
- Maintain strong partnerships with vendors and service suppliers
- Demonstrated capability as a technical leader taking embedded software from concept phase through development into volume production
- Strong foundation of embedded software competency, with a passion for excellence
- Expert programming skills on C/C++ and Python
- Previous experience, guiding software development through rapid growth cycles
Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related fields required.
Additional Position Details:
Ideally the candidate would work out of South San Francisco, but a hybrid or remote approach is possible since many team members are geographically distributed.