Job Title: Prep Cook
Reports to: Sous Chef
Department: Truss / jaja / Pioneer /Edda
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
Position Summary: The Prep Cook is responsible for cooking ingredients, washing vegetables, chopping vegetables, cutting meats and other meal preparation activities as directed by chefs. The Prep Cook sets up workstations and ingredients so that food can be prepared according to recipes. This role may undertake basic cooking duties such as reducing sauces and parboiling food. This role may also prepare simple dishes such as salads and appetizers. The Prep Cook will maintain high standards for food service while contributing to profitable business performance.
● Set up cook stations and stock with necessary prep supplies.
● Rotate items in walk-in/storage daily.
● Follow recipes for bulk prep.
● Answer and report to chefs, as appropriate.
● Weigh, measure, mix and prep ingredients according to recipes.
● Communicate clearly with managers and culinary staff.
● Work closely with all team members to ensure smooth operation.
● Adhere to quality standards for culinary team and ensure execution.
● Comply public health and food safety requirements.
● Ensure Toast application is effectively utilized for timekeeping.
● Notify sous chef of any equipment malfunctions brought to your attention.
● Ensure BOH works areas are clean and organized at all times.
● Contribute to a positive work environment to consistently achieve standards and provide exceptional guest service.
● Comply with all policies regarding attendance, performance productivity and teamwork.
● Other duties as assigned.
● Promote safe operation of all equipment and safe food handling.
● Ensure work areas are clean and organized at all times.
● Ensure safety-related matters are addressed in a timely fashion and escalate to leadership, as necessary.
● Other duties as assigned.
Education & Experience
● Previous experience as Prep Cook in a full-service restaurant/event environment, preferred.
● Basic math skills including working with measurements required.
● Problem solver and analytical thinker: works constructively to solve problems and learn from mistakes, anticipates the needs of personnel and guests, “sees around corners”- works proactively to prevent issues from arising; exercises common sense and good judgment.
● Maintains composure under pressure, remains calm and courteous in difficult situations.
● Willingness to learn and accommodate industry changes and company directives.
● Required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays as business demands; ability to work flexible hours as required.
Work is performed in a restaurant/event environment. This role requires frequent standing and walking during entire shift. Work environment is fast-paced and team member must be able to manage multiple priorities throughout a shift. Exposure to cold and heat may occur on regular basis throughout a shift (entering refrigeration equipment, multiple industrial/food service and exposure to cooking appliances).
Harbor Bay, the team behind INTRO – Cleveland’s most exciting new mixed-use project, which features nearly 300 new apartments, an acre of green space, and a lavish top-floor event venue directly across the street from the historic West Side Market – is excited to announce a brand-new hospitality operation.
Our roots are in Cleveland, but our aspirations are driven by our cosmopolitan experiences across the globe. Harbor Bay Hospitality will launch four independent concepts that aim to raise the bar and set new expectations in Cleveland’s hospitality scene.
Starting this adventure during a global pandemic has been no easy feat, but the opportunity exists here in town to innovate and improve experiences for both guests and team members. With a focus on dynamic, design-forward restaurants, and extreme attention to detail in food, beverage and service, every part of stepping into a HBH space will be memorable.
What are the four spaces? A trendy all-day café with a serious coffee program, a camping-inspired live fire sports bar, an upscale shared-plates lounge with a retractable roof, and a dramatic top floor event space with panoramic views.
All establishments are currently in search of talented, motivated team members to help grow the HBH family from the ground up. We will offer competitive pay rates, a slate of benefits for full-time employees, and a rewarding and enriching work environment that will be fast-paced and high volume.
Our plans can be summed up with three simple promises:
Really Good Stuff. Served Humbly. In Great Rooms.