Pipelayers have the responsibility of assembling, connecting, and installing pipe systems for “wet” utilities (storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains). Pipelayers also ensure that the ground is prepped, on grade, and meets specifications for slope and alignment. Installation of the pipe includes positioning, joining, and aligning the pipes at proper depths, angles, and grades. The pipelayer is essential in communicating with other team members regarding the excavating activities associated with installing the pipe, to ensure work is performed safely and efficiently.
Whitaker Construction offers an exceptional benefits package including:
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Employees earn shares in the company – All employees have ownership in the company and its success
- Competitive wages
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Supplemental Insurance
- 401 K and Match
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Personal Days
- Quarterly Incentive Program (profit sharing)
- Referral Bonuses
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Roles and Responsibilities:
Including but not limited to the list below.
- Install or repair sanitary or storm-water sewer structures or pipe systems.
- Measure and cut pipes to required lengths per layout and blueprints.
- Dig trenches to desired or required depths by hand or using trenching tools.
- Locate existing pipes needing repair or replacement with hand tools, or with the assistance of heavy equipment.
- Use instruments such as lasers, grade rods, and transit levels to set appropriate grade for pipe installation.
- Cover pipes with earth or other materials as required.
- Knowledge of construction stakes and grades, and Blue Stakes laws and regulations.
- Align and position pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing; connect pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements using levels or lasers.
- Lay out pipe routes following written instructions or blueprints coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Grade or level trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Tap and drill holes into pipes to introduce auxiliary lines or devices.
- Perform sewer manhole installations, to include proper joint installation, joint wrap, and setting/securing a manhole frame and cover.
- Assist Construction Laborers with labor duties.
- Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by supervisors.
Skills and Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or GED preferred. Any vocational training is strongly desired.
- Those with an education and/or work-related credential from a secondary or post-secondary educational system will be given preferred interview status (Precision Exams, NOCTE, etc.).
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in underground utility construction projects, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated skills in safe operation of lasers, tamping machines, saws, and other hand or power tools necessary to meet job requirements.
- Knowledge of street and highway traffic rules and regulations and safety precautions to be observed in working on or near highways.
- Ability to detect unsafe or hazardous conditions of equipment and work environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to get to and from work.
- Able and willing to work long hours including day, night, weekend shifts as needed, and work outside of normal hours.
- Able to walk, lift, reach, stoop, stand, grasp, balance, climb, kneel, crouch, and lift up to 50 pounds frequently.
- Able to work in outside environments being subjected to weather changes, noise, vibrations, and job hazards.