Job Title: Pharmacy Technician II
Location: Methodist Campus
Shift: Variable Shift, 1st or 2nd, every other weekend, 3 of 6 major holidays
Hours per week: 40
To assist pharmacists in accurately and aseptically preparing and dispensing medications, as well as correctly entering and processing medication charges and credits throughout the hospital information system.
Why UnityPoint Health?
- Culture â€“ At UnityPoint Health, you matter. Come for a fulfilling career and experience a culture guided by uncompromising values and unwavering belief in doing whatâ€™s right for the people we serve.
- Benefits â€“ Our competitive Total Rewards program offers benefits options like 401K match, paid time off and education assistance that align with your needs and priorities, no matter what life stage youâ€™re in.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment â€“ Weâ€™re committed to ensuring you have a voice that is heard regardless of role, race, gender, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Development â€“ We believe equipping you with support and development opportunities is an essential part of delivering a remarkable employment experience.
- Community Involvement â€“ Be an essential part of our core purposeâ€”to improve the health of the people and communities we serve.
Visit us at UnityPoint.org/careers to hear more from our team members about why UnityPoint Health is a great place to work. https://dayinthelife.unitypoint.org/
COVID-19 and Flu Vaccination Requirement: It is required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and Influenza. Exemption requests based on medical or religious reasons may be submitted, but must be approved for active employment.Responsibilities:
Assists pharmacists in accurately and aseptically preparing and dispensing medications.
- The technician assists pharmacists in accurately and aseptically preparing, filling, compounding, labeling and dispensing medications including all IV medications. The incumbent presents the final product to a pharmacist for review and approval before the medication is dispensed from the pharmacy.
- The technician is responsible for filling and distributing controlled substances per policy and procedure.
- The incumbent must be a team player since the position interacts with all positions within the department. The incumbent is expected to move from work area to work area to facilitate the smooth workflow of the pharmacy. The incumbent is to do any task required by the supervisory personnel or staff pharmacists for the good of the pharmacy. This team player philosophy is carried throughout the hospital as the technician aids in the delivery of medications from the pharmacy to the patient care areas
- The technician consistently checks boards, mailboxes and e-mail for new departmental communications.
- The technician high accuracy with respect to all areas of work. Seeks additional responsibility. Actively exhibits initiative, therefore not requiring constant supervision.
- The technician is able to prioritize workflow and understands the critical timing issue of IV meds ordered.
- Has a thorough understanding of the pyxis medstation system, pharmacy patient profile systems, compounding medications and preparation of iv's knowledgeable of different equipment used in the preparation of medications.
- The incumbent has a thorough understanding of the Omnicell Medstation System. This includes, but not limited to, pending new meds, filling labels off the printer, filling and loading meds at the Omnicell stations, filling Stock Low/Stock Out reports, refilling of bulk medications, crediting returned meds, discharges, etc.
- The incumbent assists the IV pharmacist in accurately and aseptically preparing intravenous admixtures in the sterile laminar air flow hoods of the IV pharmacy. This position must accurately calculate, measure syringes and prepare labels for medications to be drawn up for intravenous admixture use. The incumbent presents the final product with all calculations and materials used to the IV pharmacist for review and approval before the medication is removed from the pharmacy.
- The technician aseptically prepares IV medications, such as antibiotics, total parenteral nutrition, large and small volume IV's, etc. in laminar air flow hoods. The incumbent must also be able to prepare chemotherapeutic agents in the vertical flow hood. The technician completes competency requirements prior to deadlines, as outlined in policies and/or legal requirements.
- The technician must be knowledgeable of different equipment used in the preparation of medications. This position is responsible for regular cleaning maintenance of laminar air flow hoods & documentation of this and quality audit data.
- The technician plays an active role in the orientation and training of other pharmacy personnel.
- The technician must, at the completion of training, take and pass the Omnicell and distribution certification tests.
- This position will be responsible for the accurate processing of charges and credits to inpatients and outpatients using the hospital computer system. Filing of department documents, medication orders, and extemporaneous charges are necessary to allow for prompt access of these records.
- The incumbent must have a thorough understanding of computer functions needed. Some of these functions include filling of labels, making labels for preparations, looking up patient profile, and problem solving.
- Maintains daily reports and stock inventories. Make stock meds as needed. Accurately fills exchange
- This position accurately distributes medications to each patient care area by established procedure. The technician is responsible for returning credited meds to stock, based on Beyond Use Dating. The technician is responsible for keeping all work areas clean, neat, organized and stocked.
- The incumbent also performs a wide variety of duties including filling code trays, departmental stock replacement, exchange carts, preparing stock as needed, and keeping the fill and work areas stocked at all times.
- Accurately performs monthly floor checks, files department documents and medication orders.
- Floor checks are performed on a monthly basis, following the guidelines specified for each.
- High School Diploma/GED Preferred
- Not Indicated
License and Certification
- Certified as Pharmacy Technician (CPhtT) per state or federal regulations.
- This position must keep a current pharmacy technician license for the State of Illinois or show evidence of having applied.
- Incumbent must pass internal Omnicell and IV Competency exams.
- Required English Skills
- Basic reading skills
- Basic writing skills
- Basic oral skills
- Ability to respond appropriately to customer/co-worker
- Interaction with a wide variety of people
- Maintain confidential information
- Ability to communicate only the facts to recipients or to decline to reveal information
- Ability to project a professional, friendly, helpful demeanor
- Basic computer knowledge: Uses word processing, spreadsheet, e-mail application, and web browser. Comfortable within a Windows OS and learning new applications.