This position is not eligible for fully remote work. Currently on a Hybrid/Flex schedule - 3 days onsite M/T/Wed.
The Straus Family Creamery Mission: To help sustain family dairy farms in Marin and Sonoma Counties by providing high quality, minimally processed organic dairy products. To support family farming and revitalize rural communities everywhere through advocacy and education.
Job objective: This individual contributor plays a fundamental role in the daily management of the Company’s internal and external payroll, in a consistently accurate and timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Administer company payroll on weekly, biweekly, quarterly, annual, basis – manage collection of payroll data, processing and maintaining accurate payroll records; manage regular pay, commission, incentives, over-time, and manual checks; and coordinates and manages reconciliation of all payrolls
- Ensure processing of new hire and temp hire paperwork, and status changes are accurately recorded by P&C and processed in timely manner within HRIS system
- Oversees weekly submission of temp staffing payroll and related billing for respective staffing agencies
- Analyzes payroll and employee expenses, assures related general ledger accounts are reconciled
- Reconciles payroll deposits, tax withholdings, wage garnishments, and voluntary deductions
- Review and reconcile Company benefit deductions: medical, dental, gym dues, BYOD reimbursements
- Regular review, audit, and analyzing of payrolls, benefits, and- tax procedures, to ensure best practices
- Preparation of relevant on-going weekly, month-end, quarterly, and year-end organization reports including but not limited to: gross payroll, hours worked, PTO accrual, tax deductions, benefit deductions
- Oversee process improvement projects, standardization of payroll systems, and maintains payroll manual
- Collaborates with Safety Manager for all Worker’s Compensation reporting, code audits, and reconciliation of WC payments
- In partnership with P&C, assists with training of managers on payroll system, responds to payroll inquiries, and resolves discrepancies
- Work with payroll service provider, Innovative Business Solutions (IBS) to determine permissions, update earning/deduction codes, ensure accurate tracking/compliance, troubleshoot access issues, direct deposit issues, system errors, or Carrier Connection issues. Creates support case to track though to resolution. Communicates back to P & C and Director of Finance on it
- Point of contact for all payroll and other confidential HRIS reports not generally accessible to leadership teams including but not limited to wage information, overtime, OSHA compliance, payroll registers
- Actively involved with 401k benefit management and annual audits – assisting with verification of EE contributions, ensuring deductions and Company matches are processed compliantly, entering of new 401k loans in IBS, preparing 401k census for annual audit and year end filing, and other related compliance tasks
- Collaborates with P & C for IRS Form 1095 / ACA filings, withholding approvals, open enrollment, status changes, and ELT record changes
- Manage notices from government agencies regarding employee tax filings, garnishments, or child support services
- Reviews Federal/State tax, social security withholdings, and other deductions including insurance share of costs
- Manages reimbursements/stipends related to cell phone, data, gym dues and commuter benefits
- Participates in problem solving and special projects within the P & C team and Executive Leadership (ELT)
- Screens time-worked inputs for calculating, coding, or other errors
- Reviews/processes payroll adjustments (PTO and/or other time off) and generates/reconciles PTO accrual entries
- Maintain excellent attendance and work ethic
- Comply with all health, safety, security, and emergency protocols, whether established by your manager, the Company or by law, and communicate any safety concern or hazard
- to a member of management
- Participate in team, Company, safety, and/or other meetings, as requested
- Ensure work is produced in the most sustainable manner
- Ensure areas of responsibility are kept neat and clean
- Other duties as requested
- College degree/certificate or equivalent, in business or related field, required
- 3-5 years minimum of payroll management/processing experience, required
- 3-5 years of GAAP accounting and finance experience (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), required
- 3-5 years of financial data analytics including preparing financial reports, statements and projections, required
- ERP (Navision), and Microsoft Suite software knowledge, including advanced Excel proficiency, required
- Proficient understanding of rules and laws which govern the payroll administration practices, required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, required
- Bilingual Spanish, preferred but not required
- The senses of being able to see, hear and have full power of speech are required
- Ability to work on a computer and look at a computer screen for extended periods of time. This position requires computer 95% of the time ·
- Extended periods of sitting·
- Short periods of standing, walking, bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, and stooping, turning the head and torso, reaching, grasping, bending and flexing the arms, legs, wrists, hands, and
- fingers – repetitive at times
- The ability to climb stairs is essential
- Ability to lift, hold and/or carry 20 pounds, unassisted
- Flexibility to work after hours and to work weekends - as business needs arise - required
Above description is is not intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and not construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position.
Straus is an equal opportunity employer. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any legally protected characteristic.
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Straus Family Creamery, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine.
Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of
a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned
upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination
status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in
accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Fully sponsored medical insurance (HMO/HRA/HSA). Including vision and hearing coverage
- Basic/preventative dental and limited orthodontia
- Long Term Disability (LTD)
- 401k with company match
- Paid holidays (7 per year)
- Floating holidays
- Accrued PTO
- Employee purchase discounts
- Carpool incentive, bike to work and public transportation subsidies
- And many other wonderful perks!
Founded in 1994, Straus Family Creamery is a mission-driven, family-owned-and-operated business dedicated to making premium organic dairy products, with minimal processing. The Straus Dairy Farm and Creamery, located in the small town of Marshall on the Northern California Coast, was the first certified organic dairy farm west of the Mississippi River and the first 100% certified organic creamery in the United States.
In addition to the Straus Dairy Farm, Straus Family Creamery buys certified organic, Non-GMO Project Verified milk from 11 other organic family farms in Northern California’s Marin and Sonoma Counties. The combination of rich soil, one of the nation’s most diverse grassland systems, and a mild coastal climate create the ideal setting for organic dairy farming. Land stewardship and sustainable farming are deeply rooted principles in certified organic farming practices.