The Patient Access Representative performs functions that enhance patient access and increase revenue to the clinic. Advises patients regarding insurance coverage and financial obligations, completes registration and scheduling of patients in the automated registration/scheduling system, and collects payments.
Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Responsible for the accurate and complete collection and capture of patient registration data for an assigned area in the pre-registration and verification system
- Reviews and verifies scheduled ambulatory visits for an assigned area, including confirmation that valid insurance coverage exists, that a referral is authorized for specialty visits, and the accuracy of primary care physician data for all managed care patients
- Obtain referral waiver forms when appropriate
- Obtain signature on ABN when appropriate and can provide education to patient on ABN process
- Collect co-payments, self-pay payments and/or payment in full or partial payment on any balances on account
- Acknowledges and prints patient arriving into the clinic and prints the required paperwork
- Utilizes scheduling system for many types of appointments
- Enters managed care referral
- Provides general information to patients and visitors while building sustainable relationships and trust with patients through open and interactive communication
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate degree or equivalent relevant experience
- Minimum of 2 year experience in insurance, managed care, private physician’s office practice, or hospital registration setting
- Proven customer support experience, with the ability to demonstrate excellent communication and presentation skills
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of health care delivery systems with special emphasis on the referral management process for managed care providers
- Thorough understanding of Medicare and Medicaid programs with the ability to identify primary payers
- Strong phone contact handling skills and active listening
- Knowledge of personal computer and automated registration/scheduling systems
- Knowledge of insurance and collection of payments
- Knowledge of hospital admissions
- Demonstrated skill in customer service, team building and problem solving
Joslin Diabetes Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and it is the policy of Joslin to prohibit discrimination of any type and to afford equal employment opportunities to employees, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, marital/parental status, disability status, protected veteran status or any other status protected by law.