SUMMARY:Under basic supervision, provides instructional support to students to enhance the learning environment of physically, emotionally, and/or mentally challenged students.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class; employees may be assigned duties which are not listed below; reasonable accommodations will be made as required. The job description is subject to change at any time by the employer. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists in the planning and preparation of instructional materials and lessons that meet the needs of students with various disabilities.
- Supports student learning and reinforces instruction provided by certified teachers.
- Works in conjunction with school health specialists, speech therapist, and physical therapist to administer lessons, activities, and therapy exercises.
- Monitors and records student behavior and progress. Assists with translating in IEP meetings and parent phones calls as needed.
- Escorts students to special classes. Guides student through obstacle courses.
- Physically assists student with eating, restroom use, hygiene, and getting on and off school busses as required.
- Cleans and disinfects toys, tables, and classroom. Assists in picking up and organizing toys and classroom materials at the end of lessons.
- Assists substitute teacher to ensure continuity of learning process.
- Completes other duties as assigned or required.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent;ANDAssociate DegreeORminimum of sixty (60) credits post-secondary educationORpassing score on a paraprofessional test;ANDtwo (2) years of experience working with students with disabilities;ORanequivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Required Licenses and Certifications:
- CPR/First Aid Certification.
- Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card preferred.
- Crisis Prevention Training.
Required Knowledge of:
- Behavior management strategies.
- Speech technology devices.
- District, School Board, and Department policies and procedures.
- Methods of classroom management. Supervising and instructing students.
- Stages of childhood development.
Required Skills in:
- Working with students with special needs.
- Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with coworkers and other individuals in contact during the course of work; communicating clearly and concisely; bi-lingual preferred.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing standard software such as Microsoft Office and some specialized software; functioning standard office equipment.
- Planning and implementing lesson plans and activities.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- Work is performed in a standard classroom environment.
- May be required to assist students with restricted mobility.