NOAA Center for Operational Oceanographic Products
and Services (CO-OPS) Support Services
Location: Split between Silver Spring, MD and Telework
IBSS provides administrative, scientific, and technical personnel to support federal agencies managing or conducting research on ocean, coastal, and freshwater natural resources. In federal contracting, positions come open and must be filled quickly when an existing staff member departs or when a new contract to provide services is awarded.
IBSS has a 4-year contract to provide CO-OPS with administrative, scientific, and technical support services to assist in obtaining, analyzing, and disseminating oceanographic and meteorological data collected from stations located throughout the United States and its territories, including partner-owned stations, to identify and address stakeholder needs and to support the CO-OPS’ mission.
CO-OPS is the authoritative source for accurate, reliable, and timely tides, water levels, currents, and other coastal oceanographic and meteorological information. Offering services that support safe and efficient maritime commerce and transportation, help protect public health and safety, and promote robust, resilient coastal communities. CO-OPS maintains ocean observing infrastructure, including more than 200 permanent water level stations on the U.S. coasts and Great Lakes, an integrated system of real-time sensors concentrated in busy seaports, and temporary meters that collect observations for tidal current predictions. Through these systems, CO-OPS provides the nation with historic and real-time data, forecasts, predictions, and scientific analyses that protect life, the economy, and the environment on the coast.
IBSS is interested in identifying talented individuals with the skills and experience that we need to support CO-OPS. When opportunities become available, we strive to be prepared with qualified personnel to meet those needs. Our CO-OPS team includes, but is not limited to:
- Oceanographic Data Specialist (various levels): provides analysis, quality assurance and quality control of water level, currents, meteorological, and other ancillary data to produce high quality products; analytical support for the generation and delivery of tidal datum and tidal zoning products and services.
- Oceanographic Technical Specialist (various levels): Assists in coordinating across NOAA offices to support the advancement of Vertical Datum models. Leads the compilation and delivery of tidal and geodetic relationships based on benchmark elevations; performs quality control and review of water level data to complete updates of Sea Level Trends, Exceedance Probability, High Tide Flooding, and Extreme Water Level products as well as after high-water events.
- Senior Data Technician: Provides operational assistance, policy research, analysis, and recommendations, budgetary analysis, database management, economics (including all manner of socioeconomic studies and analysis), statistical analysis, coastal and marine policy, and quality control.
- Program Analyst: Provide support for a variety of tasks related to leadership support, program analysis, and program and project management. Serve as an Executive Secretariat for leadership groups internal to CO-OPS as well as other NOAA groups of which CO-OPS is a member.
Requirements and Experience
Entry Level: BS in oceanography, meteorology, marine sciences, hydrography, physics, physical science, or closely related discipline. Knowledge of basic physical oceanographic principles, especially tides and tidal currents.
Mid-level: BS in oceanography, meteorology, marine sciences, hydrography, physics, physical science, or closely related discipline, and two years of relevant experience. MS degree may substitute for required experience. General database and query experience and a working knowledge of MATLAB, Python, and /or ArcGIS preferred.
Senior Level: MS in oceanography, meteorology, marine sciences, hydrography, physics, physical science, or closely related discipline, and two years of relevant experience, a BS plus 4 years of experience. General database and query experience and a working knowledge of MATLAB, Python, and /or ArcGIS preferred.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes which positions you would be interested in and how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
About IBSS Corp
IBSS is a Woman-Owned business. Since 1992, IBSS has provided specialized professional and technical, scientific, cybersecurity, IT, and software engineering solutions to the Federal sector. Our clients include the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the Department of Defense (DoD), and the Department of Justice (DOJ). We are committed to serving our clients and employees by delivering service excellence, creating value through technology, and continually improving our skills, services, and processes. Moreover, we maintain an ISO 9001:2015 certification which allows us to optimize current industry best practices to enhance delivery outcomes for our clients.
IBSS offers a competitive benefits package including paid vacation, medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage with company-paid deductible, matching 401K plan, tuition/training reimbursement, and Flex-Spending (FSA)/Dependent Care Account (DCA) options.
IBSS is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.