MercyOne Newton Medical Center is a fully owned hospital of MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center and a member of MercyOne Network.
It is located in the city of Newton, Iowa, county seat of Jasper County. Positioned on Interstate 80, the nation’s only east/west transcontinental interstate highway, Newton is about 30 miles east of the Des Moines metropolitan area, which has a population in excess of 400,000.
MercyOne Newton has a well-deserved reputation for bucking the trend of diminished health care in rural America by enhancing the quantity and quality of its services during the last two decades. This has been accomplished by expanding, remodeling and providing technological improvements to its physical facilities and by adding new physicians.
MercyOne Newton employees and local doctors are known for their highly productive “Iowa work ethic,” emphasis on compassion and quality patient service, and loyalty to the hospital and the community.
Our campus in Newton has 48 beds and about 200,000 square feet of space. Attached to the hospital is a 50,000-square-foot medical office building containing local physician practices and the hospital’s physical medicine and rehabilitation center.
MercyOne Newton is one of the largest employers in Jasper County, along with the local school system and the county government.Responsibilities:
Sign-On Bonus eligibility includes:
- New to the MercyOne system
- $10,000 Sign-On Bonus
Performs tests and procedures in assigned sections, including those which require exercise of independent judgment and responsibility with minimum supervision. Independently performs qualitative and quantitative tests, following established guidelines and predetermined criteria. Identifies problems that may adversely affect test performance and/or results and uses knowledge and skills to troubleshoot and resolve them. Consults with Med Technologists when appropriate.
- Performs complex laboratory procedures utilized for the diagnosis and treatment of disease as appropriate for patient age to include neonates, infants, children, adolescents, adults, and geriatric adults; recognizes deviation from expected results; analyzes and corrects problems using scientific principles.
- Analyzes quality control data, makes judgments concerning the results, and takes appropriate action to maintain test accuracy and precision.
- Assists and supports quality management systems and performance improvement initiatives. Utilizes LEAN principles/productivity standards.
- Performs preventive maintenance and basic troubleshooting of instrumentation and equipment.
- Works independently, organizing work to meet established deadlines and records.
- Assists with new instrument or procedure implementation and training.
- Maintains supply inventories.
- Trains new employees.
- Operates laboratory information systems, personal computers, and instrument-related computer software.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Associate’s degree in science-related field..
- Six (6) month clinical internship in a National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) accredited clinical laboratory science program or approved alternate career path that meets certification eligibility requirements
- Certification in one of the following:
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP)
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) by the American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) by the American Association of Bioanalysts (AAB).
- A person may be hired into this position if he/she has completed the requirements for registration for the certification exam. The exam must be successfully completed within six (6) months of hire.