TAIT Towers is the Market Leader in designing, constructing and delivering world-class solutions for live experiences.
Whether it's creating awe-inspiring spectaculars, complex touring stages, theatre engineering solutions, brand activations or cruise ship installations, TAIT delivers world-class solutions for live experiences. With its proprietary entertainment automation platform, custom-made products, and creative engineering, TAIT's cutting-edge offerings continue to advance industry standards and exceed client expectations. As a global network of over 900 employees in 14 office locations, TAIT has worked on projects in over 30 countries, all 7 continents and even outer space. TAIT's diverse group of clients include Taylor Swift, Cirque Du Soleil, The Metropolitan Opera House, NASA, National Geographic, Beyoncé and The Olympics.
The Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsible for project-based work and will focus on specialized machinery and fabrications for the entertainment technology industry, drawing on mainstream engineering principles and practices.
- Design and Engineer custom solutions to challenging engineering problems to meet specific requirements of diverse project-based applications.
- Create 2D sketches communicating concept design, and hand sketch schematics.
- Draw full 3D models in CAD platforms.
- Coordinate elements with entire show.
- Carry out calculations to analyze problems and validate solutions.
- Select and order appropriate materials for design.
- Provide details to Procurement department to aid in part and vendor selection.
- Study, concept, and model full featured designs using CAD.
- Understanding the underlying physics of complex problems.
- Collaborate with all departments in an engineering and manufacturing environment.
- Understand capabilities of machining and fabrication in TAIT shop.
- Use CAD tools and internal file structure to ensure designs are created and documented properly.
- Perform weight studies of elements for engineering review.
- Conduct design reviews within design department, as well as with fabrication / integration.
- Knowledge of multiple CAD platforms and ability to work between them.
- Understanding of machining and manufacturing GD+T.
- Eye for design aesthetic.
- Build library of knowledge of previous designs.
- Degree in Engineering, Industrial Design, CADD, Technical Theatre, or Machine Design preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in a similar Design Engineering role
- Interest in the performing arts.
- An aptitude for hands-on engineering demonstrated through work or personal activities.
- Proficiency in 3D parametric modelling package(s).
- Sound knowledge of mechanical design and problem solving ability.
- Understanding of analytical and numerical justifications of design choices.
- Flair for translating creatively-led requirements into technically robust practical engineered solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong work ethic and focus on delivery.