Job Title: Manual Machinist
Reports to: Fabrication Supervisor
Department: Fabrication Shop
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date: March 10, 2021
Position Overview Journeyman level position responsible for setting up and operating conventional machines to fabricate metallic and nonmetallic parts. Fits and assembles machined parts into complete units. Applies knowledge of machine shop theory and procedures, shop mathematics, machinability of materials and layout techniques.
Essential Job Functions
- Studies blueprints, sketches, drawings, manuals, specifications, or sample part to determine dimensions and tolerances of finished work piece. Follows sequence of operations and set-up requirements.
- Measures, marks, and scribes (part layout) dimensions and reference points on material or work piece as guides for subsequent machining.
- Selects, aligns, and secures holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials on machines, such as mills, lathes, jig borers, grinders and shapers, band saws, etc.
- Starts and observes machine operation to detect malfunctions or out-of-tolerance machining and adjusts machine as required.
- Verifies conformance of finished work piece to specifications, using precision measuring instruments.
- Fits and assembles parts into complete assembly, using jigs, fixtures, hand tools, power tools, rivet guns, rivet press, etc.
- Verifies dimensions and alignment of assembly, using measuring instruments, including but not limited to micrometers, calipers, height gauges, gauge blocks, etc.
Non-essential Job Functions
- Install machined replacement parts in mechanisms, machines, equipment and test operation of unit to ensure functionality and performance.
- Operate welding equipment to cut or weld parts.
- Develop specifications from general description and draw sketch of part or product to be fabricated.
- Confer with engineers, production personnel, programmers, or others to resolve machining or assembly problems.
- Specialize in setting up and operating CNC machining centers and lathes.
- Education/Experience: Vocational/Technical Training Certification and 2+ years’ experience or High School Diploma, GED or equivalent and 3+ years’ experience. Prefer Certified Machinist with experience in a precision metal fabrication operation.
- Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively fill out reports.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume. Apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Interprets instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch and/or crawl. Frequently required to stand, walk, climb, balance, talk, hear and occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include good close vision and distance vision.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee works in a machine shop environment and is exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to high.
M2 Global Technology, Ltd. maintains a work environment based on team-based management. All employees are expected to adhere to the philosophies and charter necessary to support and foster a team based environment, including, but not limited to, encouraging and supporting team members when applicable and maintaining a high degree of discipline, respect and trust.
Salary based on experience.