Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is looking for a Research Assistant to join the Nicolls Laboratory and support investigations that study pathophysiology causes and develop treatments for two vascular diseases: Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension and Lymphedema.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
The Research Assistant will participate in general wet lab activities, animal husbandry, and high throughput sequencing of genes and proteins under the supervision of Stanford appointed Principal Investigator - Mark Nicolls, M.D., Ph.D., and Research Director. The successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in molecular biology and cellular biology. Ideally, the Research Assistant will have experience with animal studies.
This is a full-time on-site position located in Palo Alto, CA. PAVIR offers generous benefits, including comprehensive health insurance, vision, dental, 14 paid holidays, paid vacation time, sick pay, a 401(k) with a fully vested 6% company match and 3% profit share, a wellness program, commuter benefits, and professional development training. Plus, we pay for life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES OF A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Assist with design and perform experiments investigating the mechanisms of LTB4 and its effect in pulmonary arterial hypertension and lymphedema under the direction of the PI and Research Director.
- Document findings of experiments and troubleshoot as needed.
- Assist with data analyses and communicate results to other lab staff.
- Perform rat and mouse experiments, such as treatments and surgeries.
- Maintain rat and mouse colonies including breeding, weaning, and PCR genotyping.
- Perform animal husbandry related duties as required.
- Perform other wet lab duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT
- Bachelor's degree (or Senior-year Bachelor students with a graduation date scheduled for 2022) or equivalent experience.
- Applicable bench lab experience.
- 2 years of related work experience, including rodent handling desired.
- Valid Driver's License required.
- Previous laboratory experience with animal experimentation highly desired.
- Previous experience with cell culture, molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemical techniques.
- Good communication skills (written and verbal).
- Ability to work independently and proactively, with good organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a team context and collaborate with other lab personnel.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety rules and procedures.
- General computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Exposure to web lab environment, research animals, blood borne pathogens, toxic/caustic chemical or reagents. Occasional travel may be required to Stanford Research Park.
ABOUT PALO ALTO VETERANS INSTITUTE FOR RESEARCH (PAVIR)
PAVIR engages in the administration of funds and providing support for the conduct of research at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. At PAVIR we work with more than 160 uniquely talented medical scientists. Our researchers have an active appointment with the VA Palo Alto Health Care System and maintain academic appointments with Stanford University. We recruit and retain talented employees who believe in making a difference in the lives of others through innovative health research.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact email@example.com - Human Resources department.