Lead Software Engineer - Data Infra/AI & ML (Multi-cloud Security)
The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
We’re at the cross juncture of multiple transformations disrupting the existing networking and security solutions. Apps are transforming from monolithic to being distributed micro-services. Infrastructure is transforming from being homogenous to heterogenous, multi-cloud and cloud native. Together app transformation and infrastructure transformation are leading the organizational transformation and leading the adoption of DevSecOps and NetSecOps.
Existing connectivity and security solutions needs to evolve in this new paradigm. A new architectural approach is needed for connecting and securing modern distributed apps.
Be a part of the team that is leading the innovation and developing networking and security solutions for the multi-cloud & distributed modern applications. Join us if you share a passion for crafting software that has a significant impact for the world and future of cloud computing.
We need someone who can play and important role as early member of the team and can design, develop, and deliver software facilitates the advance security analytics for enabling risk-based security for modern multi-cloud application environments. These deliverables must provide a scalable and distributed end-to-end data pipeline, that collects and store data from multiple data sources and provides rule-based interface to enable various advance algorithms and analytics at scale and in real-time.
Success in the Role: What are the performance goals over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
Within your first 6 months
- You will be expected to produce software designs that enables data pipelines to collect and store telemetry data from multiple and geographically distributed POPs across various clouds. The solution must be scalable & extensible. Additionally, it must support interfaces to process telemetry data from external systems such as external threat feed providers as well.
- You will define and develop a rule engine that enables continuous analytics based on flexible rules.
- You will define and develop APIs (REST and graphQL), SDKs and CLI interfaces that offer secure queries to the data to perform advance analytics. You will also deliver automated tests and documentation to support the adoption of these interfaces.
After 6 months+
- You will be working with partners and early customers to deploy the solution in real world deployment.
- You will be responsible for designing and delivering the supporting infrastructure functions to deliver your solutions at cloud-scale, including features such as usage tracking, diagnostics, monitoring, and alerting.
- You will be regularly evaluated on the quality of the product you create and the code you write to ensure continued advancement of your technical skills in an environment that looks to expand them.
- As an early member of the team, you will be expected to work with and contribute to its Kubernetes based microservices architecture, and all your deliverables must align with the group’s development and deployment standards.
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
As a key member of the multi-cloud security & connectivity team (aka “Team Watchmen”), you will:
- Design & Develop Data pipeline using Time Series DB, SQL and NoSQL DBs, Message Queues such as Kafka, AWS Kinesis, ELKs etc. in Java or Go.
- Design & Develop Interfaces & APIs for integrating with external data providers.
- Design & Develop rule engines to enable various ML algorithms (such as Regressions, Clustering, Unsupervised & Supervised learning models)
- Work with distributed systems & applications that may span across multiple clouds such as AWS, Azure, GCP etc.
- Deploy microservices to Kubernetes using Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) systems
- Work with the team and product management to review and refine delivery requirements
- Write technical design documents and hold reviews
- Participate in all team scrum ceremonies
- Communicate with consumers of the team’s software and gather requirements and facilitate adoption of your solutions
The technical experience in your background which may help your success in this new role include:
- Must have 8+ years of experience in large scale, production, server-side development of Data Pipelines and Bigdata applications
- Must have hands-on development experience with one or more Big Data technologies: Kafka, Elastic Search, AWS Kinesis, Spark etc.
- Must have hands-on development experience with various databases such as time series DB and SQL / NoSQL Dbs.
- Must have hands-on development experience with various high-level programming languages like Go, JAVA, Python
- Must have hands-on development experience with various ML algorithms for both supervised and unsupervised learning.
- Strong experience in cloud architectures (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, distributed systems) and continuous delivery
- Familiarity with Containerization solutions like Docker/Kubernetes etc.
- Highly motivated, goal driven, innovative, curious, and open minded
- Fun to work with, team player
- An ideal candidate will have deep expertise in machine learning technologies and distributed systems
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
This position reports to the Director of Engineering in NSBU (CTO Office), an experienced software engineer and manager who has built and led multiple teams in application & cloud security space and have delivered multiple market leading and innovative solutions. The team consists of highly competent senior engineers..
You will be an early member of the team that is leading the charter of multi-cloud connectivity & security, the expectation is that you will help blaze a new trail for the team and organization in multi-cloud security & connectivity. This position, with its role to define the initial architecture and design, is anticipated to eventually be the beginnings of a new team focused on Data / AI / ML related deliveries. This is a great opportunity for someone who likes to start new things and put their mark on a team and company.
Where is this role located?
This role is based out of VMware’s Palo Alto, California office and open to candidates in the surrounding area.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Business Leadership
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2022-05-12
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.