Come help build the systems that process Chick-fil-A's multi-billion dollar payments annually, with a focus on innovation and radical convenience! This Lead Software Engineer role will serve on Chick-fil-A’s ServicePoint Payments team. In this role you will have the opportunity to directly impact the user experience for millions of Chick-fil-A customers.
In this individual contributor engineering role, this Lead Engineer will lead Chick-fil-A’s ServicePoint Payments team. This team is responsible for building and supporting next-generation point-of-sale payments solutions that are vital to current operations and our future growth and expansion. The team ensures that in-person payments are processed quickly and reliably in a variety of service locations, including in-store, drive-through, and remote. This team’s solutions will continually expand to address new delivery mechanisms, point-of-sale hardware, payment terminals, and payment provider APIs.
In this role you’ll serve as a lead engineer, problem solver, mentor, and expert software engineer. You will apply the technical experience you have gained in software development to the design, development, and delivery of highly engineered, complex technical products, serving to both oversee your team and contribute as a member. You will explore and use new technologies for payment terminals, native mobile apps, microservices, cloud-native infrastructure, and APIs. You will not be responsible for HR management of your team, though – you’ll rather be able to focus on the technical aspects of your team’s growth and delivery.
This role is based in Atlanta, GA
- Own the solution architecture decisions for your team’s product
- Lead delivery and operations of the team’s product, including both individual contribution and support as well as delegated tasks and support to your team’s engineers. We desire our lead engineers to be both leads and engineers, spending about half of their time on leading others and half contributing engineering work themselves.
- Work closely with experienced engineers to gain a deep understanding of the current code and its use
- Work with other payments teams to share technologies and build unified solutions
- Lead, mentor, and assess other staff engineers, exemplifying and teaching best practices, helping to solve knotty problems, reviewing code, and sharing stories
- Interview, select, onboard, and oversee contract engineers
- Guide the engineering team in adoption of Chick-fil-A software engineering standards
- Identify & propose emerging software engineering technologies, methodologies and/or approaches
- Delegate engineering assignments & assess engineering performance
- Help provide support for the portfolio of solutions the team owns
- Understand specific business processes and requirements and translate them to software functional requirements
- Specifically do the above as it relates to Chick-fil-A’s ServicePoint Payments team
Note - Working in a DevOps model, this opportunity includes both building and running solutions that could require off hours support. This support is shared amongst the team members to cover weekends and weeknights. The goal is to design for failure and, using cloud-native infrastructure patterns, automate responses to possible issues so they can be worked during normal hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired
- 5 yrs. experience
- Experience designing complex software solutions
- Expert-level knowledge in Java design and programming, particularly with Spring frameworks
- Experience with Relational and Non-Relational databases
- Experience with code merging/branching using git
- Experience mentoring and leading a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with Agile principles as applied to software development
- Experience developing and deploying applications via cloud infrastructure (AWS preferred)
- Proven ability to positively influence the engineering culture and practices in a professional environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- 5-7 yrs. experience
- Experience with test-driven development, continuous integration and deployment, Scrum discipline, or comparable software development practices
- Experience developing and delivering microservices
- Experience integrating with high volume payment systems
- Experience developing card-present payment solutions, including payment terminals, point-of-sale interfaces, and provider APIs
- Familiarity with card payment standards including EMV, PCI, and tokenization
- Familiarity using test-driven development frameworks or automated testing tools for mobile development
- Deep understanding of AWS architecture
- Experience with the native mobile application delivery and Android app development
- Experience working with an agile development methodology featuring sprints, points estimation, and daily standups
- Experience in design, data collection, and data analysis