Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Services and Systems division is currently seeking a Lead Power Systems Controls Engineer to join our team.This position will be based any of these locations: Smyrna, GA, Louisville, KY, Louisville, TN, Arden, NC, Greenwood, SC, Morrisville, NC, Nashville, TN, Deerfield Beach, FL, Pelham, AL, Columbia SC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC or Orlando, FL.
The Lead Power System Controls Engineer will lead field service systems integration engineering and technical consultation for customers in the areas of system design, programming, installation, start up, maintenance, repair, training and modification of automated control systems and power management systems.
The Power Systems Controls(PSC) group is a full-service systems integrator with the capabilities to integrate the necessary equipment and technologies, to provide a complete, power automation solution. This team of engineers and technicians brings extensive skills and experiences with a variety of leading HMI software packages enabling us to design graphically rich, easy-to-use operator interfaces that take advantage of the latest standalone or web-based technologies. Our experience transcends a multitude of equipment manufacturers, software packages, and network architectures, including all major OEMs HMI, PLCs, and components. We offer single point responsibility, a high level of engineering and systems integration expertise, and a unified focus on cost effective solutions, seamless integration, HMI development, energy management tools, and professional turnkey system design and implementation.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
The primary responsibilities of this position include; but are not limited to the following:
- Technical Responsibilities:
- Prepare submittal documentation for projects and meet with customers to discuss project requirements and review submittals.
- Follow customers specifications and internal specifications for project implementation
- Program Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC’s) for the following applications, but not limited to
- Simple Automatic Transfer Controls between two sources (e.g. Main-Tie-Main, Main-Gen)
- Complex Automatic Transfer controls between multiple sources (e.g. Main-Tie-Gen-Tie-Main, Main-Gen-Tie-Gen-Main)
- Paralleling Switchgear Applications
- Write and deploy complex power and control schemes including load shedding/ peak shaving schemes utilizing multiple distributed energy resources, Microgrid operations, breaker control schemes, SCADA system development.
- Ensure projects have proper controls, metering and monitoring. Controls include Power meters, automation equipment (PLC/HMI), protective relays, load sharing, synchronization, etc.
- Select components and create bill of materials.
- Provide sketches, mark-ups and direction to Electrical Designers to develop project drawings. Review and approve project drawings. You may also be responsible for completing the CAD drawings.
- Write operating sequences and instruction manuals.
- Assist with factory testing and field start-ups as required.
- Be responsible for working with test equipment and diagnostic instruments for automation and power management systems.
- Be able to troubleshoot systems that are not functioning properly.
- Be expected to work with relay logic.
- Knowledge of digital multifunction relays for genset protection and utility requirements.
- GE Multilin
- Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories.
- Eaton E-series
- Programmable Logic Controller experience with the following manufactures:
- Rockwell Automation
- HMI/SCADA Experience with the following manufactures:
- Wonderware InTouch
- GE Cimplicity
- Eaton Visual Designer
- Rockwell Automation Factory Talk View
- Capable of programming in SQL, Visual Basic, C, C++, C#, or equivalent
- Manage Networking
- Individual Responsibilities:
- Functional Self-Management: Work with minimal supervision, manage own time effectively, and maintain control over all current projects/responsibilities.
- You will receive general direction but exercise discretion as to personal work details. Plan and execute as needed to accomplish assigned individual tasks to meet expectations (cost, quality, delivery). Assume responsibility of all assigned work.
- Work as a member of a project team, maintain project schedule, attend project meetings, and keep project manager informed of status, and complete required project metrics and design documentation. Understand all parts of larger projects.
- Commercial Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support to Manufacturing and Sales Departments.
- Quote general turnkey controls schemes (analyze specifications, price all applicable labor and materials, write a proposed scope of work, etc.).
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accreditedinstitution.
- Minimum of7 years of power system or electrical engineering industry experience.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50-mile radius of the location(s) will be considered.Active-duty military is exempt from the geographical mile limitation.
- PE License
- Knowledge of SCADA systems and associated protocols (Modbus, DNP3, IEC-61850)
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to utilize the government’s specifications with SpecsIntact software.
- Knowledge and understanding of best engineering practices for design of automation systems, power management systems, human-machine interface software, PLC programming, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding of protection relays based monitoring and control systems.
- Working knowledge of test equipment and diagnostic instruments for automation and power management systems.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting, test and repair techniques.
- Understanding of the company’s and competitor’s automation and power management systems and services.
- Strong computer literacy - Working knowledge of all software packages relevant to successful performance of tasks.
- Knowledge and practice of safety precautions related to working with automation and power systems.
- Has demonstrated ability to provide service and represent company interests in developing customer relationships to assure long-term customer satisfaction.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication/presentation skills
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license
Eaton also considers qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with local laws. To request a disability-related reasonable accommodation to assist you in your job search, application or interview process,please call 412-893-3600 or send an email to: AccommodationsForApplying@Eaton.com
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time