Associate’s degree in related discipline or equivalent is required plus a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience.
Department of Defense Secret security clearance is required at time of hire. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
Help make the technologies, products and services that make a difference. That’s the opportunity that’s waiting for you at General Dynamics Mission Systems. We help our nation’s heroes keep our nation safe by creating solutions so advanced, they redefine innovation for the world. It’s an amazing challenge. And it’s waiting for you now.
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for an LCS General Technician at San Diego Naval Base. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
The LCS DEPS General Technician will engage in Maintenance, Mission Module Movements/Embarks and Debarks, Pre-embark Staging, Maintenance Planning, Fly-Away/Distance Support and Logistic Engineering Support. The candidate will perform a variety of duties in Corrective Maintenance, Emergent Repair, and Preventative Maintenance involving GDMS Mission Module support of Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).
- Assists in the development, implementation, installs, tests, modifies and/or operates complex equipment and systems
- Participates on the engineering work team and supports other team members in experimental design, materials, equipment setup/maintenance and related issues
- Installs and removes MM equipment on LCS ships
- Construct, modify, debug, test and adjust a variety of tools and equipment given appropriate drawings, parts and instructions
- Implements basic practical solutions for process improvement
- Conducts and documents experiments under guidance of senior technician
- Constructs basis tooling and fixtures to accomplish unique tasks
- Works under general supervision
The candidate will be based in San Diego, CA and will support the LCS platforms, including travel to other domestic ports and OCONUS ports as appropriate. The selected candidate will be expected to travel 50% of the time supporting Littoral Combat Ships (LCS-class ships) and will work within the parameters and rules common to U.S. Naval vessels.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
This position will require the ability to work from tech manuals, vendor documentation, schematics, and engineering drawing to supports the ship’s maintenance efforts. The LCS DEPS Mission Module Maintenance Technician will be expected to have proficiency with test equipment operations. Additional duties may be assigned, including but not limited to logistics, material, and safety responsibilities as it relates to the Mission Modules.
The LCS DEPS Mission Module Maintenance Technician will be expected to become completely familiar with all systems within MMRC.
- Experience operating and maintaining Navy weapons systems such as Mk 44/46 30mm Guns, MK 110 57mm Guns, Mk 45 5”/54; Close-in Weapons System (CIWS); Mk 34 Gun Weapon System (GWS) on US Navy/Coast Guard Vessels, and USMC/Army vehicles is desired.
- Candidate will be required to perform physically demanding work, to include working aloft, in tight, restricted spaces onboard LCS Platforms, climbing scaffolding, ladders and standing for long periods of time onboard an LCS ship or pier and be able to lift 50 lbs. or more.
- Must be able to pass forklift operators physical and proficiency tests
- The candidate may be responsible for working with a team of technicians, engineers, and government staff as appropriate.
- Minimum one year experience with Navy maintenance, to include Ships Maintenance and Material Management (3M), Preventive Maintenance and Corrective Maintenance.
- Experience with 11m Rigid Inflatable Boats (RIBs); Qualify as an operator and maintainer.
- Experience with LCS Mine Countermeasure (MCM) components.
- This individual must have strong oral and written communication skills and be proficient with typical PC applications to include Word, Project, Excel and Access.
- Professional etiquette and ability to operate effectively in a distributed team environment and effectively communicate customer initiatives, strategy and mission needs.
Formally trained, operated and maintained Navy's Surface Warfare (SUW), Mine Countermeasure (MCM) and systems and inter-workings of the LCS Class MM program.
- Experience with 30mm guns on the LCS, LPD-17 Class, USMC Advanced Amphibious Assault Vehicle (AAAV) or similar chain guns is highly desired.
- Experience in Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Auxiliary supporting equipment, such as motor controllers, fuel conditioning, and damage control equipment
- Licensed Forklift Operator
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Familiar with U.S. Naval protocol and the ability to work directly with interfaces in uniform and with engineers in other companies
- Familiar with U.S. Navy Work Authorization Forms (WAF) and Tag-Out Programs
Target salary range: USD $23.94/Hr. - USD $25.67/Hr. This estimate represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors (geographic location, etc.). Actual pay may vary.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 12,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran