The Medicines for All Institute (M4ALL)at Virginia Commonwealth University has a bold mission–to improve global accessto high-quality medications by driving down production costs. By re-imaginingmanufacturing processes, the institute’s chemists and chemical engineersoptimize active pharmaceutical ingredient production and provide open access tomanufacturers around the world to enhance the security of medicine supplychains.
In support of our mission, we areseeking applications for the position of Lab and Research Technician II. Thisindividual will be responsible for the day-to-day activities required tosupport the goals of multiple large research labs. The successful candidateswill be responsible for:
• Facilitate research in the laboratory by ensuring thesupply of needed materials for all projects
• Assist in the completion of lab functions essential to maintaining overalllaboratory efficiency
• Assist in preparation and analysis of samples and experiments
• Perform monitoring and preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment
• Perform general clerical tasks necessary for daily lab operations
• Assist research personnel with more complex experiments and procedures
• Assist in the preparation of presentations and reports to funding partners
• Collaborating with finance to confirm receipt of lab supplies
• Carefully maintains records of experimentation
• Other duties as assigned in support of our mission
• B.S. in Chemistry or related field; ortraining and equivalent work experience at a level that equates to a degree.
• Experience with standard chemistry lab instrumentation and techniques
• Completion of college level coursework in Chemistry to include OrganicChemistry 1 and Organic Chemistry 2 or significant years of relevantprofessional experience equivalent to coursework
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
• Commitment to maintaining a high level of integrity
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills with a demonstratedhistory of accurate and thorough scientific documentation
• Understanding of chemical and lab safety policies and procedures
• Willingness to work in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
• Able to work independently and in multidisciplinary teams
• Able to work occasional weekends
• Strong written and oral skills with the abilityto communicate technical concepts to audiences of varying backgrounds and levelof understanding
• Open-mindedness and commitment to fostering anenvironment that respects, seeks to understand, and values individualdifferences. M4ALL supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment.The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment tofostering such an environment.
• Willing to participate in daily lab maintenance and upkeep
• Proficient in formatting and editing papers and presentations
• Experience with assisting in the development SOPs and other technicaldocuments
• Ability and desire to stay current by reading relevant scientific literature
VCU offers a competitive package that includesan expansive array of benefits options including group health, dental, life anddisability insurance, flexible reimbursement accounts, retirement plans, aswell as paid time off.
• $38,000 - $42,000
• Thechance to be a part of a rapidly growing organization that has significantimpact around the globe.
• Theopportunity to gain experience working with a highly experienced team of chemists/leadership with decades of combined academic and industrial experience
• Work in top-of-the-line research facilities
Department: Medicines for All Institute, College of Engineering
Employment Type: Full-time (UF – University Employee)
Restricted Status: Yes, this position is 100% grant funded. M4ALL'sresearch portfolio represents diversified support from federal, state,industry, and private funding agencies.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Optional Retirement Program (ORP) Eligible: No
Source : Virginia Commonwealth University