The Matian Firm in Ontario is in search of a qualified and resourceful HR Business Partner to support our Ontario office in ensuring smooth and efficient business operations. The HR Business Partner will be the on-site HR partner for the Ontario team therefore, the person in this role must be capable of working independently. The person in this role must have strong business decision-making skills, excellent judgement, and capability to work with minimal supervision. The HR Business Partner will utilize the department databases to ensure all employee records are up-to-date and confidential, along with assisting and advising management on Human Resources related issues or topics. An important part of this role will include performing regulatory compliance and reporting to support the day-to-day operations of the Human Resource department. This is an on-site role so the ideal candidate must be comfortable commuting to our Ontario office daily.
- Develop programs within the office to facilitate new employee integration during the first year of employment to meet the firm's objectives for new hire retention
- Reviews, tracks, and documents compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, and aptitude exams and certifications
- Process onboarding and new hire orientation for new Ontario staff.
- Handle complex or sensitive matters including disciplinary conversations; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management
- Research appropriate resources to meet local training and development needs for staff and implement training solutions with the Human Resources Director
- Act as a point of contact for escalated human resources questions from attorneys, paralegals and staff in the office. Understand and interpret all human resources policies of the firm and displaying the ability to answer most questions independently.
- Use appropriate judgment to route complex questions and issues to appropriate resources and following-up to ensure the issue is resolved in a timely manner
- Conduct thorough workplace investigations and recommend appropriate course of action.
- Partner with and train new leaders on corrective action and termination procedures.
- Maintain compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law. Provides guidance to administrative HR staff on regulatory compliance.
- Promote the value added benefits of the firm within the office with a goal of increasing participation
- Maintain relationships with key departments in the office and the firm
- Assist with special projects on various local/global benefit issues as needed
- Promote effective work practices, working as a team member, and showing respect for co-workers
- May oversee the scheduling, assignments, and daily workflow of subordinate staff in the department
- May assist with constructive and timely performance evaluations
- Associate's, Bachelor's, or Master's Degree in Human Resources, Business or related field.
- At least 6-8 years Human Resources and/or Employee Relations experience required.
- Previous experience handling sensitive matters including high level investigations and terminations required.
- Experience with coaching managers and employees on employee relations issues required
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations required
- SHRM, PHR, CPLP, or other equivalent Human Resource Certification preferred
- Proficiency with Human Resource Information System (HRIS) and Talent Management Systems required
- ADP Experience is preferred
- Proficiency in Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with benefit administration
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated with integrity, strong work ethic, excellent communication and analytical skills
- Ability to act with professionalism and maintain confidentiality
Here at the Matian Firm, we offer a great compensation package including a 401(k) plan, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Some perks include catered lunches, complimentary parking, paid time off, and more! Come be a part of our growing firm and its opportunities for your career development. You will learn and develop alongside a team of professionals who aim to excel in the legal industry. Apply now!
The Matian Firm, APC is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we welcome everyone regardless of their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or genetics. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive, open, and diverse work environment.