Oxy is an international energy company with assets primarily in the United States, the Middle East and North Africa. We are one of the largest oil producers in the U.S., including a leading producer in the Permian and DJ basins, and offshore Gulf of Mexico. Our midstream and marketing segment provides flow assurance and maximizes the value of our oil and gas. Our chemical subsidiary OxyChem manufactures the building blocks for life-enhancing products. Our Oxy Low Carbon Ventures subsidiary is advancing leading-edge technologies and
business solutions that economically grow our business while reducing emissions. We are committed to using our global leadership in carbon management to advance a lower-carbon world. Visit oxy.com for more information.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Geochemist within our Central Geoscience group based in Houston, TX.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
The Geochemist role is to provide global support to all Oxy Exploration and Development Business Units in geochemical evaluation, interpretation, modeling, and integration with geological, petrophysical and geophysical data. The selected individual will be part of a Geoscience team reporting to the Chief of Petrophysics.
Applicant must be a self-starter, capable of working within cross-functional teams and sharing knowledge of organic and inorganic geochemistry applications and evaluation processes. Good communication skills are essential, as is the ability to adapt and thrive in a multicultural environment. Must possess geochemical knowledge of siliciclastic, carbonate reservoir systems as well as basic knowledge of unconventional reservoirs. Applicant should be capable of providing unsupervised analysis utilizing classical geochemistry techniques and must be able to mentor less experienced team members. A critical part of the job is maintaining continuity and consistency of technical work, communication, and business objectives with the BU.
- MS or PhD degree in a Geochemistry
- Minimum 8 years of experience within the oil industry
- Must possess broad geochemical knowledge of both siliciclastic, carbonate and unconventional reservoir systems analysis utilizing classical geochemistry techniques
- Demonstrate ability to design cuttings and core-based geochemical programs in complex reservoir systems, maximizing data acquisition and efficiency, while ensuring work is carried out professionally and in compliance with HES requirements
- Ability to design geochemical programs to evaluate potential prospects using legacy offset data, geochemical research/literature of analogs, and culling from our internal Oxy geochemical databases.
- Competence in fingerprint and biomarker analysis.
- Competence in gas geochemistry including mud gas, produced gas, flashed gas and headspace gas analysis where fluid properties, in-situ maturity, source contribution, migration, biogenic content, biodegradation, and depletion are identified and evaluated.
- Competence in programmed pyrolysis including analysis of maturity, organic type and mobility
- Competence in compositional (ICP, XRD, FTIR, XRF) analysis and application to chemo stratigraphy
- Competence in water analysis including identifying aquifer extent, formation waters contribution and corrosion issues, using ionic and isotopic fingerprints.
- Must be a motivated self-starter and positive individual able to work under pressure
- Must be willing to work in integrated international teams and can interact effectively with geoscientists and reservoir, operations, drilling, and facilities engineers.
- Excellent time management skills with ability to manage multiple assignments concurrently and meet tight deadlines
- Must be a motivated and positive individual able to work under pressure
- Possess organizational skills. Good presentation and communication skills, written and verbal.
- Good presentation and communication skills, written and verbal
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Prior experience in Permian Basin, DJ Basin, unconventional reservoirs and Oman.
- Willing to interface with Low Carbon Ventures, Basin Modelers, Facilities, and Completions teams on assorted special projects.
- Ability to define scale and asphaltene formation, H2S source identification, stray gas, basin modeling inputs, ands scale testing design for CO2 injection
- Demonstrate creativity in geochemistry technology innovation
- Familiarity with methods of core and fluid retrieval, handling, and competent in the design of conventional and special geochemical analysis programs
- Comprehensive understanding of core and fluid testing interpretation methods
- Be willing and able to supervise, coach and mentor junior staff
- Design and teach internal training classes and mentoring for the geoscience community
- Experience in Petrel and Spotfire is desirable.
- Familiarity with mud logging and geological operations.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.