INFORMATON ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Jon-Don LLC, (“Jon-Don”) is a national value-added distributor of equipment, supplies, and training for specialty contractors in the water restoration, concrete surface prep and polishing, carpet cleaning, building service and abatement end markets. Jon-Don serves over 60,000 customers annually with multiple retail branch/distribution centers nationwide and is headquartered in Roselle, Illinois.
In 2020, Incline Equity Partners completed a majority investment in Jon-Don. Incline is a Pittsburgh-based private equity firm that invests in distribution, manufacturing, and business services companies. Incline has a proven track record of accelerating business growth through investments in technology to further enhance customer service.
The General Manager is responsible for a broad spectrum of management tasks central to leading and managing the vertical segment of Surface Prep for Jon-Don, Inc. The position is responsible for directing and leading activities of the vertical Business Segment and departments for attainment of goals and objectives. The General Manager is responsible for leading and directing all work for the Business Segment and reviewing analyses of costs, operations, sales, forecast data and conditions to determine progress toward goals and objectives while ensuring that mutually effective customer relations are cultivated and maintained.
- Ensure safe working conditions in threat and harassment free environment.
- Lead, direct and coordinate all Business Segment departmental activities.
- Review and lead analyses of activities, costs, operations, sales, forecast data and conditions to determine progress toward stated goals and objectives while ensuring effective customer relations are cultivated and maintained.
- Partner with all departments to improve the profitability of the corporation and looking for ways to improve Gross Margin.
- Actively engage with sales team and customers, as appropriate, to strengthen key partnerships, leverage our services and partnership and deliver profitable financial growth.
- Work closely with sales, marketing and customer service on requirements and initiatives to ensure mutually satisfying development, implementation, and execution.
- Review and approve or develop and submit for approval, plans for the adequate control of budget spending, capital improvements, and customer service.
- Apply good business principles in all areas of responsibility.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and makes recommendations for the improvement of policies and procedures.
- Foster and maintain safety, quality, delivery and cost in a service and customer focused culture.
- Recommend and define objectives in each area of responsibility. Develop specific short-term and long-range plans and program as well as support budget requests.
- Lead the Business Segment in troubleshooting problems throughout all steps of the process: understand processes, systems, equipment, and techniques necessary for optimum production quality and efficiency; become proficient with operation and sales methods; evaluate production metrics; identify problem areas (inefficiencies, etc.); work with others to develop solutions; communicate and implement solutions.
- Accomplish Business Segment results by communicating job expectations; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; initiating, coordinating, and enforcing systems, policies, and procedures.
- Recruit, select, orient, and train employees; communicate hiring needs and provide feedback to HR on interviewees and their potential placement within Jon-Don, Inc. Ensure the Business Segments organizational structure is appropriate to support current and future operations.
- Facilitate a spirit of cooperation within and between departments
- Maintain quality service by enforcing compliance with established policies and procedures
- Ensure a safe and clean work environment by educating and directing personnel on the use of all control points, equipment, and resources
- Oversee and hold team accountable for resolving personnel problems by analyzing data (e.g., weekly data, monthly utilization reports, planning percentage reports), investigating issues, identifying solutions, recommending action, and following through with performance management steps
- Monitor bonus and progressive discipline programs
- Ensure that all policy and safety standards are adhered to throughout the facility
- Lead and drive programs to institutionalize strong corporate culture and accomplish ad hoc tasks
- Maintain safe and clean work environment by educating and directing personnel on the use of all control points, equipment, and resources
REQUIRED SKILLS / ATTITUDES:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of management/service industry experience with direct P&L oversight and strong financial acumen
- Proven management capabilities: prior leadership experience in a service environment (experience with Six Sigma and/or LEAN practices desired); able to be firm and hold people accountable; excellent clear communication skills; able to motivate supervisees and peers
- Strategic thinking: ability to establish priorities, processes, and standards. A decisive individual who possesses a “big picture” perspective
- Problem Solving: proactive in identifying potential problems or opportunities to increase productivity and quality, decrease waste and improve morale
- Attitudes: must be motivated, have a positive attitude, be trustworthy and demonstrate a good work ethic.
- Works well under pressure and operates effectively in a fast-paced team environment
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills and can bring together different personalities around common goals; excellent at listening, identifying root causes of concerns and mediating differences
- Proven ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks; must be highly self-motivated and able to operate autonomously or on a team in a dynamic environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Demonstrates behaviors consistent with Company’s culture and unwavering commitment to customer (internal/external) satisfaction
- Medical/Dental/Vision insurance coverage
- Free life insurance for all full-time employees
- Flexible spending account allowing employees to pay for certain health care expenses with pre-tax dollars
- 401K program
- PTO - 3 weeks - accrued weekly
- Employee referral program
- Employee discounts