Strasburg Rail Road Company
POSITION TITLE: Food Service Cashier
POSITION REPORTS TO: Food Service Manager
POSITION PURPOSE: The Food Service Cashier supports the Strasburg Rail Road and its Café 1832 by executing essential front-line tasks in a timely, economical, and professional manner while providing exceptional guest service and displaying a positive attitude when interacting with Guests and fellow Team Members. These tasks include welcoming guests to the Café, taking orders and completing the guest transaction on POS, and generally assisting with basic restaurant tasks.
• Greet Guests in a pleasant and professional manner as they enter Café 1832.
• Engage with Guests in active conversation, answering any questions they may have.
• Enter food & beverage orders into POS.
• Perform basic math functions to collect payments and make change.
• Operate POS registers, scanners, and credit card/debit card terminals.
• Collect payments, and assist in the fulfillment of the purchase as appropriate.
• Maintain an accurate cash drawer and practice safe cash handling.
• Assist Guests and handle complaints or concerns promptly and professionally.
• Stock grab-and-go cases, condiment stations, etc.
• Bus tables and ensure a clean dining room.
• Support food service team members with other basic tasks.
• Other duties as required.
• Consistently exhibits a positive, respectful, helpful attitude toward guests, including the ability to speak clearly and convey information accurately.
• Pays attention to detail, shows a desire to learn, and executes tasks as directed.
• Disseminates accurate information about the railroad, food & beverage options, and menu items.
• Works well independently as well as with others.
• Is self-motivated and demonstrates initiative.
• Presents a neat and clean appearance in accordance with the SRC Employee Handbook.
• Demonstrates a consistent eagerness to answer questions and always serve guests or potential customers with a positive attitude.
• Reports to work and meetings on time and adheres to the worker replacement policy.
• Must be 16 years of age or older.
• Self-motivation and a strong work ethic.
• Ability to work on his/her own or in teams.
• Written and oral communication should be accurate and professional.
• Detail-oriented organizational habits and the ability to prioritize tasks.
• Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
• Must be able to walk, bend, twist, and stand for long periods of time
• Basic knowledge of best practices in food service is a plus.
• Ability to remain calm and work well under pressure.
• Hours revolve primarily around an established train, event, and café schedules.
• Evening and weekend hours are expected, as well as work on the occasional holiday.
• Work is primarily indoors including use of iPads/POS equipment as well as some basic office equipment.
• Required uniform including apron and anti-slip footwear.
• Exposure to hazardous situations and conditions that may produce cuts or minor burns.
• Exposure to hot and cold temperatures, such as when working near ovens, griddles, and fryers or dishwasher.
• Sometimes wear personal protective equipment such as gloves.
• Work physically near others.
• Work near contaminants and hazardous equipment.
• Sometimes work in a noisy and distracting environment.
• Frequent walking and standing for long periods of time.
• Occasional lifting, bending and twisting.
• Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
INTENT AND FUNCTION OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination decisions. Well-constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system. All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Supervisors as deemed appropriate may assign additional functions and requirements. In accordance with the American with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.
Source : Strasburg Rail Road Company