Job Title: Field Ecologist (DRUM)
Location(s) Grand Junction, Colorado
Hiring Range: $45 - $62K/yr. (Depending on education and experience)
A Field Ecologist collects ecological and environmental data at abandoned uranium mines in remote, rugged country.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (may include, but are not limited to):
- The Ecologist 2 performs a variety of more complex analytic or scientific studies. Generally they function in two or more of the following activities: engineering controls, institutional controls, environmental monitoring, inspections, remedy maintenance, site transition, environmental compliance, environmental management systems, analysis, planning, coordination, and technical assessment of individual programs or several separate projects. May perform as lead on less complex assignments. This level is intended for the experienced scientist capable of independently selecting and applying methods, techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Support other field data collection activities such as collecting coordinates of mine features with GPS, soil sampling, occasionally water sampling.
- Conduct work according to approved work plan, ensuring procedures are followed.
- Assist in evaluating data, reviewing reports, and writing report sections.
- Work with office personnel in planning field activities.
- Work in the field, traveling 50-75% of the time, with winters generally in the office.
- Promotes fieldworker safety and may conduct training.
- May direct work activities of field personnel and interns.
- Trains and mentors more junior staff.
- May lead aspects of a task or project.
- Complete understanding of principles, concepts and techniques in ecology.
- Proficient in MS Office and working knowledge in QGIS and ArcGIS preferred.
- Skill and ability to perform complex professional tasks and to analyze and develop innovative solutions to problems.
- Ability to recommend approaches for new and improved processes.
- Ability to work with broad objectives, with latitude to determine the best way to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to assist in business development or proposal efforts.
- Ability to lead certain aspects of a task or project.
- Ability to train and mentor more junior staff.
- Level of language skills, mathematical skills, communication skills, reasoning ability and computer skills necessary to perform essential functions of the job.
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree science or science-related field (e.g., biology, ecology, rangeland, reclamation, environmental science or related field) and 0 - 4 years of job-related experience. An advanced degree may substitute for 2 years of experience. Demonstrated excellent communication and analytical skills; expertise in computer systems and software application programs.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements (Medium Work):
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The employee is regularly exposed to work in high, precarious places, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation and vibration. The noise level may be loud due to equipment or machinery used.
Medium Work Category - The employee exerts up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The employee is regularly required to use hands to handle or feel, to reach with hands and arms, and to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
RSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.
If you would like to apply for an open position with RSI, please click here.